Contribute
Register

Can I triple boot Ubuntu/Windows/Catalina with Opencore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
DELL XPS 15 7590
CPU
i7-9750H
Graphics
Nvidia gtx1650
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a laptop,and I want to triple boot these os with opencore.But there is only one ssd on my laptop.
So can I make it?

Yes, it's actually quite easy to do if your laptop uses EFI and GPT partitions.

Your EFI partition (ESP) has to be at least 200MB. If it's smaller than this, you'll have to resize existing neighboring partitions to make room to expand it. The OpenCore installation guide has more information on how to setup multiboot

I already had Windows and Linux and running from the drive and I was able to resize my Linux partition to make room for MacOS. I created a new partition and gave it a label I'd easily recognize. When I ran the MacOS installer, I selected to install MacOS to the new partition and that's all that was needed.

OpenCore will add the first operating system (Windows or Linux) on your disk to the boot menu. To add the second one, I had to edit the config.plist to add the partition information for it.

Once everything was working OK, I copied the OpenCore EFI folder to my ESP partition, making sure not to wipe out the Windows and Linux EFI directories, and used OpenCanopy as my boot menu.

Yes, it's actually quite easy to do if your laptop uses EFI and GPT partitions.

Your EFI partition (ESP) has to be at least 200MB. If it's smaller than this, you'll have to resize existing neighboring partitions to make room to expand it. The OpenCore installation guide has more information on how to setup multiboot

I already had Windows and Linux and running from the drive and I was able to resize my Linux partition to make room for MacOS. I created a new partition and gave it a label I'd easily recognize. When I ran the MacOS installer, I selected to install MacOS to the new partition and that's all that was needed.

OpenCore will add the first operating system (Windows or Linux) on your disk to the boot menu. To add the second one, I had to edit the config.plist to add the partition information for it.

Once everything was working OK, I copied the OpenCore EFI folder to my ESP partition, making sure not to wipe out the Windows and Linux EFI directories, and used OpenCanopy as my boot menu.
Thanks alot!!!

What did you do in config.plist to add the next OS ?

Under Misc > Entries, I added the location of the OS's EFI file to the Path key. The location should be something like

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x17,0x0)/Sata(0x5,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(1,GPT,4C15DB92-F532-11E9-AF6E-E172391D34E9,0x800,0xFA000)/\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

You can use uefishell.efi to find the correct path to use.

Hi, talking about resizing, how did you do it?, I want to resize my EFI folder in opencore, any ideas?

It's been a while since I did it so I'm not 100% certain but I think I used gparted live from a usb stick to resize partitions.

I followed the same procedure, having installed Windows first, then ArchLinux to end with MacOS.
I can boot MacOS & Linux fine from opencore but Windows will always boot to "automatic" recovery for some reason.
I tried blessoverride or manual stanza like you put above but nothing works. Any idea?

I found another forum's post saying "SyncRuntimePermissions" to "true" should fix that, and while Windows does no longer boot to recovery mode, it doesnt boot at all. It starts booting a bit and then restarts the computer.

UPDATE: It seems this was cause by "faulty" ACPI/SSDT patches. I disabled some until windows booted again using opencore and macos still boots too :) So happy.

Last edited:
I have this issue with a dual boot of Windows and Ubuntu. I usually just follow the BitLocker instructions to get the recovery key but it is annoying and I would like to solve it. Sometimes booting through the BIOS instead of grub fixes it but not always. I'll do some research and see if I can find a solution

@Thumbkin83 : Can you post which ACPI/SSDT Patches you disabled pls ? I have the same problem (Windows booting a bit and the restarts...) - "SyncRuntimePermissions" enabling don't fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back