Contribute
Register

Can I stick a 1060 in my Mac Pro 5,1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No sign of the RX 580's getting cheaper here and the availability is even worse, and I have an offer for a 1060 at a great price.

For reference - I'm using a 5,1 in Sierra, do some video/mograph work in OSX and other than that just want the card to game in Bootcamp.

There seems to be information that I can download the Pascal drivers and the card will work in OSX and in Windows - I can buy a windows card, not need to flash it and I'm good to go. I also read a few opinions that the 1060 has lots of issues in OSX and is gimped in both OSX and Bootcamp.

Could anyone provide a clearer answer for me? I appreciate there is a wealth of info out there but I'm lost in what is applicable to me. Again, some premiere pro/after effects but mostly bootcamp gaming.

Can I get any PC 1060 or is it only certain ones? I've read a few opinions that using a 6 to 8 pin cable to power the card is a bad idea for the system as a whole, but I don't really see another option with the MP?

Thank you in advance.

No sign of the RX 580's getting cheaper here and the availability is even worse, and I have an offer for a 1060 at a great price.

For reference - I'm using a 5,1 in Sierra, do some video/mograph work in OSX and other than that just want the card to game in Bootcamp.

There seems to be information that I can download the Pascal drivers and the card will work in OSX and in Windows - I can buy a windows card, not need to flash it and I'm good to go. I also read a few opinions that the 1060 has lots of issues in OSX and is gimped in both OSX and Bootcamp.

Could anyone provide a clearer answer for me? I appreciate there is a wealth of info out there but I'm lost in what is applicable to me. Again, some premiere pro/after effects but mostly bootcamp gaming.

Can I get any PC 1060 or is it only certain ones? I've read a few opinions that using a 6 to 8 pin cable to power the card is a bad idea for the system as a whole, but I don't really see another option with the MP?

Thank you in advance.
This is a site dedicated to installing Apple operating systems onto PC hardware, your question(s) may be better addressed to macvidcards.com.

This is a site dedicated to installing Apple operating systems onto PC hardware, your question(s) may be better addressed to macvidcards.com.

Apologies - I figured since I was in the Mac Hardware->Mac Pro section it was appropriate. I'm aware of MacVid, but they are selling flashed video cards and has no info on a 1060. Suppose I will ask elsewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back