Contribute
Register

Can I run newer versions of macOS? (Already have High Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock B85-DGS
CPU
i5 4460
Graphics
GTX 960
Hello !

I would like if it will be possible to install the latest version of macOS (Monterey) or either (Big Sur). I already have a Hackintosh in this system, only it is macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) and I would like to make the transition to something more modern, but I have talked to other people and if I install something above High Sierra, I will lose the video card (because there are no drivers). I only think if I could be without the video card, because I have a video card integrated into the processor, and what I do on the PC is just programming (Visual Studio Code, Visual Studio, Android Studio with android simulator, Unity). What opinions would I have, would it be possible, worth it?

CPU:

- Intel Haswell Refresh, i5 4460 3.2GHz

GPU:

- MSI GeForce GTX 960 GAMING 2GB GDDR5 128bit

MOBO:

- ASRock B85M-DGS

Memory:

- 4GB module (Patriot Signature) + 4GB module (HyperX Black) - DDR3 1600Mhz

Storage:

- WD Blue 1TB SATA3 7200RPM 64MB

- Solid State Drive (SSD) Kingston KC600, 256GB, 2.5", SATA III

Yes it would work if you want to use the system for coding, as that type of workload would not require the graphics processing from a dedicated GPU. If you disable the Nvidia card, using a boot argument or appropriate SSDT, you could just use the Intel HD46000 IGPU for macOS.
  • You are correct, your Nvidia GTX 960 dGPU is not supported beyond High Sierra.
  • Your could change your GPU to an inexpensive GT 710 card £50-£55 on Amazon.
Then the whole system would be supported in macOS allowing you to run Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur.

Hello !

I would like if it will be possible to install the latest version of macOS (Monterey) or either (Big Sur). I already have a Hackintosh in this system, only it is macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) and I would like to make the transition to something more modern, but I have talked to other people and if I install something above High Sierra, I will lose the video card (because there are no drivers). I only think if I could be without the video card, because I have a video card integrated into the processor, and what I do on the PC is just programming (Visual Studio Code, Visual Studio, Android Studio with android simulator, Unity). What opinions would I have, would it be possible, worth it?

CPU:

- Intel Haswell Refresh, i5 4460 3.2GHz

GPU:

- MSI GeForce GTX 960 GAMING 2GB GDDR5 128bit

MOBO:

- ASRock B85M-DGS

Memory:

- 4GB module (Patriot Signature) + 4GB module (HyperX Black) - DDR3 1600Mhz

Storage:

- WD Blue 1TB SATA3 7200RPM 64MB

- Solid State Drive (SSD) Kingston KC600, 256GB, 2.5", SATA III
Your graphics card is not supported on MacOS Mojave and later due to lack of Nvidia drivers, as you are aware yourself.

If you remove your graphics card and use CPU integrated graphics, then you should be able to install and run MacOS Mojave / Catalina / Big Sur.

Mine will be more of a philosophical answer: what's the use of having the latest MacOS if it's mainly for coding?
Yes, our basic instinct pushes us to have the latest top notch of anything, and it's hard to resist... :mrgreen: And if you're ready for facing all the wonderful issues of installing one of the latest OSes on an old machine and have fun with the process, why not?

I'm a Mac user since what was then called "System 7"* but I stopped following Apple's crazy pace of one new MacOS every year* at Mavericks; now, I'm following Apple's three years support in my own way: I wait for the last Security Update for a given MacOS before switching to it!
So, I kept running Mavericks until late 2018 then switched to El Capitan and now I'm waiting the end of 2021 to switch to Mojave... :lol:
This is particularly sensible considering the recent big changes in MacOS structure and APFS, and knowing that you always lose a little performance at each version (for a given machine) — just check speed comparisons on Youtube.
So, if my 2012 machine won't burn before, I should switch to Monterey at the end of 2024. ;)

* : for the record, System 7 has been updated by Apple during 6 years before MacOS 8...

Last edited:
Yes it would work if you want to use the system for coding, as that type of workload would not require the graphics processing from a dedicated GPU. If you disable the Nvidia card, using a boot argument or appropriate SSDT, you could just use the Intel HD46000 IGPU for macOS.
  • You are correct, your Nvidia GTX 960 dGPU is not supported beyond High Sierra.
  • Your could change your GPU to an inexpensive GT 710 card £50-£55 on Amazon.
Then the whole system would be supported in macOS allowing you to run Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur.
Your graphics card is not supported on MacOS Mojave and later due to lack of Nvidia drivers, as you are aware yourself.

If you remove your graphics card and use CPU integrated graphics, then you should be able to install and run MacOS Mojave / Catalina / Big Sur.

@Edhawk @Jamesbond007

Thank you guys for your time and advice. I would like to start preparing the USB stick with what I need for macOS Big Sur because I am going to buy an SSD to install it there. Can you guide me in making a USB stick with what I need to install my hackintosh? Thank you!

Mine will be more of a philosophical answer: what's the use of having the latest MacOS if it's mainly for coding?
Yes, our basic instinct pushes us to have the latest top notch of anything, and it's hard to resist... :mrgreen: And if you're ready for facing all the wonderful issues of installing one of the latest OSes on an old machine and have fun with the process, why not?

I'm a Mac user since what was then called "System 7"* but I stopped following Apple's crazy pace of one new MacOS every year* at Mavericks; now, I'm following Apple's three years support in my own way: I wait for the last Security Update for a given MacOS before switching to it!
So, I kept running Mavericks until late 2018 then switched to El Capitan and now I'm waiting the end of 2021 to switch to Mojave... :lol:
This is particularly sensible considering the recent big changes in MacOS structure and APFS, and knowing that you always lose a little performance at each version (for a given machine) — just check speed comparisons on Youtube.
So, if my 2012 machine won't burn before, I should switch to Monterey at the end of 2024. ;)

* : for the record, System 7 has been updated by Apple during 6 years before MacOS 8...

@Nodarkthings

Well, I want to put a newer version because I need Xcode, and Xcode requires newer versions of the operating system, also, I have another program for graphical interfaces running from High Sierra +, so in In principle, I want a newer version of Hackintosh for the compatibility of the suite of tools I will work with. Another aspect would be that, I like the UI more than the rest :) And in the end, I think they are more secure.

@Nodarkthings

Well, I want to put a newer version because I need Xcode, and Xcode requires newer versions of the operating system, also, I have another program for graphical interfaces running from High Sierra +, so in In principle, I want a newer version of Hackintosh for the compatibility of the suite of tools I will work with. Another aspect would be that, I like the UI more than the rest :) And in the end, I think they are more secure.
Oh, sorry! I was not thinking about Xcode. Of course, I understand. :oops:
In that case, I suppose you have the skills for using OpenCore instead of Clover, in my particular case it's been quite necessary, but of course it depends on your build.
Searching for "Asrock B85-DGS i5 4460 Big Sur", I see a guy who published his EFI at Github. ;)

Yes, it looks very close to your build. But of course, at your own risk. ;-)
If I were you, I'd try it on a USB key's EFI — even if you know nothing about OpenCore, you just have to put the EFI folder in your EFI (but of course, it's better to know what you're doing...) If by chance everything works ok, you'll have time to learn how OC works.
Then, I've made a little guide for updating OC to the last version: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/a-guide-to-update-opencore-0-x-y-to-0-x-y-1.312907/
(It might be a good idea to check the above mentioned EFI with the procedures I've mentioned in my guide, but beware ocvalidate is specific to each version of OC, i.e. you should find version 0.6.7 to check it)

@Nodarkthings what do you mean by "at your own risk."? Can I damage my motherboard or some component?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back