Contribute
Register

Can I run newer versions of macOS? (Already have High Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using someone else's EFI is always going to be viewed as being risky. As you have no way of knowing what garbage the creator put in his EFI folder. It works for him, but who checked that what he has put together isn't a pile of dung. There are plenty of supposedly '100% Working' EFI folders around that are a complete waste of space.

You would be better served reading through the OC guide for the Haswell desktop system a couple of times to familiarise yourself with the process. Then using the latest OC release create your own EFI folder for your specific system.

All of the Dortania guides provide a fairly generic setup, that should get anyone up and running with OpenCore. It is not the finished article by any means. I think of it more as a setup just to get someone started. As there are too many variables when it comes to hackintosh setups for a single guide to work perfectly for everyone.

Like setting up any bootloader it is only the start of the macOS Hack journey, which requires lots of reading, the application of further patches and kexts for your specific hackintosh. Plus of course double checking and testing everything to get a 100% working system running macOS.

You should also google for the 'Clover to OC conversion guide', this has a lot of information for converting existing Clover config.plist entries to OpenCore. It is I believe still a work in progress but it has plenty of useful information for applying quirks and patches in OpenCore, to match what your current Clover setup contains. Not everything has a straight match, some things OC treats as cosmetic and ignores others are wrapped up in new releases of WhateverGreen.kext, AppleALC.kext etc.

@Nodarkthings what do you mean by "at your own risk."? Can I damage my motherboard or some component?
Well, everything we do on our computers is "at our own risk".
No, you surely don't risk any physical damage, but I can't guarantee it works as I'm not the source of that EFI and I don't have your mobo.
I've checked that EFI for you and it looks ok, but only you can try it on your build.
I haven't tested installation process past Mojave, so whatever method you choose, I strongly suggest you don't do it directly on your main drive — not because of physical issues, but because hackintoshing is not a thing where everything works right from the start, except if you're very lucky. ;-)
Depending on your skills, perhaps it's better to follow the guide suggested by Edhawk.
If you really don't feel at ease with all that, why not buying a used Mac with Big Sur already installed? If you have the money, peace of mind is worth it. :)
Mac Minis from 2014 (Macmini7,1) and up should support it.

@Edhawk @Nodarkthings I wanted to test my iGPU if he scales at 1920x1080 in my High Sierra, and that's the result, that's the maximum I can?

Attachments

• video1.png
    video1.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 42
  • video2.png
    video2.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 42
You can check your iGPU capabilities there: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...5-4460-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz.html
From my limited experience (I've only tested my iGPU on my Z68 build once and I keep using my NVidia since then), I finally found out that I had to physically remove my NVidia GT210 for my iGPU to work, but it doesn't seem to be your case.
My memories about Clover are a bit rusty but here are a few links from my notes, for you to check:
There are various methods, with or without WhateverGreen, etc.

Just to give you an idea, what worked for me was an hybrid method with WhateverGreen.
In Clover Configurator:
ACPI : AddIMEI checked
Devices : Fake IntelGFX 0x01628086 + Fake IMEI 0x1e3a8086
+ patch with Hackintool (Platform-id 0x0166000A and DP->HDMI in Patch/Advanced — no spoof)
Of course, those values are specific to my build, don't even try to reproduce them as is.
Note that your SMBIOS matters, you can use Hackintool and scroll through
Platform-ids to see its suggestions (for HD4600, it says iMac15,1).

I haven't tried my iGPU since my switch to OpenCore.

Last edited:
@Nodarkthings @Edhawk Guys, unfortunately, I will have to postpone this OS... I kept trying and it is not possible to install it. Even if I keep trying it, I can't run on the iGPU because yes, I only have VGA input to the iGPU and my monitor is DVI, but even so, VGAs are not supported on macOS. My only alternative is to reinstall my current hackintosh (it is installed on the HDD on Clover and it would be an idea to move it to the SSD and the OpenCore platform). Do you think such a system is still viable? Would it be worth spending more energy on? Or stay on Windows and that's it.

Stay with High Sierra and use your Nvidia Graphics Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back