Contribute
Register

Can I not simply update from 10.7 to 10.8 in the installer after download?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A UD3R (rev 1.0)
CPU
Core i7 950 3.06 Ghz
Graphics
XFX Radeon 6870 HD 1GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I just bought 10.8 a few minutes ago, and now that the download is complete, an installer popped up. I saw the guide on how to use Unibeast 1.5 to upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion, but why do that over just using the automatic installer that came up in a window right after I downloaded?

you don't want to do that, friend.

why not if you have a MACINTOSH :)

I tried doing it that way on a cloned version of my lion hack, but it actually does nothing! It loads some bits for about 3 mins, restarts, then it's back to the original, nothing different!

why not if you have a MACINTOSH :)

Even if you have a real Mac, I generally recommend against doing upgrade installs via any method. It's gotten better, as it used to be pretty much a death sentence that resulted in you wiping your drive and doing a clean install anyway after it hosed everything (10.4 and earlier was terrible for this), but it's still a safer bet to do a clean install.

On a hack, however, the in-app installer simply will not work. While Chimera and the various kexts you can install through Multibeast provide a good enough approximation of Mac hardware to allow OS X to work, you still don't *actually* have the hardware, and several low-level system tasks the installer attempts to perform will either not work at all (thus causing the installer to fail), or hose your install requiring a clean install anyway. The short version, I suppose, is this: Don't do it - at best it won't do anything, and at worst it'll ruin your current install.

Back up using Carbon Copy Cloner or similar, wipe, clean install. Safest way to go about it, and lowest chance of introducing new problems.

You will honestly have the best results performing a full backup, then wiping the drive clean (re-partition, don't just erase the existing one) via Disk Utility in the 10.8 installer. That way you can be certain that no remnants of the previous installation method are lying around causing conflicts, kernel panics, and other fun things. Once you have 10.8 running stably and your network, sound, graphics, etc. functional, then log in to your App Store account, download purchased apps from there, re-install apps you've purchased physical media for from those discs, and use the backup to restore your user folders (documents, photos, music, and so on).

You will honestly have the best results performing a full backup, then wiping the drive clean (re-partition, don't just erase the existing one) via Disk Utility in the 10.8 installer. That way you can be certain that no remnants of the previous installation method are lying around causing conflicts, kernel panics, and other fun things. Once you have 10.8 running stably and your network, sound, graphics, etc. functional, then log in to your App Store account, download purchased apps from there, re-install apps you've purchased physical media for from those discs, and use the backup to restore your user folders (documents, photos, music, and so on).

I might do that actually. My Hackintosh is 99% functional. The only downsides were no front mic port (I think it's my board, the Gigabyte x58a ud3r rev 1.0), and sleep (which I didn't want to even touch to risk another kernel panic). I'm guessing that when I install 10.8, all my kexts will be replaced?

What I did was is install ML over a cloned Lion backup to see if it actually worked, and it did! It worked better than installing a fresh version, most of the lion kexts were untouched except sound and network, all I needed to do was run multibeast to get them working again!

What I did: use the UniBeast usb installer, select the harddrive/ssd with lion on, let it do its thing and then you should have a mostly working version of ML if you're lucky!

Okay so the Unibeast USB drive is complete. Now when I try to get to the ML install screen, I run into the flash/reboot sequence. I have tried typing in combos like:

GraphicsEnabler=No
GraphicsEnabler=No -v
PCIRootUID=0
PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No
PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No -v
-x

None work so far.

My specs are:
Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 1.0
Intel Core i7 950
XFX Radeon HD 6870 1 GB

Status