Contribute
Register

Can I install my Applications on the non-boot drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Leviathan
CPU
i7 3770K @ 4.6Ghz
Graphics
EVGA Hydro Copper GTX 780 SLI
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I'm new to the Hackintosh community but not to Apple products. I have only ever owned MacBook Pro's in the past but this is my first ability to have several multiple drives through my wonderful new Hackintosh (AKA Hackzilla...LOL). I'm doing what seems to be common place around here which is to have OS X on an SSD and multiple drives. I have already figured out how to move my iPhoto library, iTunes library, etc. but I want to know if there is a way to have my applications on my non-boot drive.

My current setup:

Intel 330 SSD 120GB boot drive
WD 320GB single partition storage drive
Seagate 3TB backup
Seagate 3TB Docs, libraries, etc. *** I have over 2TB available and was hoping to install applications here ***

Any guidance?

Thanks in advance!

Monty

you can symlink your applications folder on your secondary hard drive to the User Application folder found in ~/Application

a.k.a. your user directory application folder.

You use terminal and remove the folder(moving files over to the second hard drive first of course) then cd to the User directory. type in "sudo rm -rf Applications" then create the symlink from your applications folder on the second hard drive by typing in "ln -s /Volumes/HDDname/path/to/foldername"

Sounds to me like you probably upgraded to an SSD, and did not do an install your applications.

If that is the case, you will need to install the apps again and during the installation specify they will be installed on the 1TB drive. Problem is the registry on your SSD needs program information even if they were previously installed on the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back