Contribute
Register

Can I install Mavericks on new hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z370-A
CPU
i7-8700k
Graphics
Integrated
This is my first post so I'm sure it's going to be quite stupid but bear with me.

After Mavericks, Mac ceased to be a pro audio OS. Its kernel now has non-realtime scheduler that causes buffer underruns . Neither Ableton nor anybody could solve the buffer underrun problems even on a maxed out early 2015 MBPR. (I've installed every OS that it supports Yosemite, El capitan, Sierra, High Sierra with 100% legal minimal software, the problem repeats).

So, I bite the bullet and started leaving the Apple ecosystem with a desktop PC.

Now, I have a super fast i7-8700K on Asus Z370-A Prime with ThunderboltEX 3 interface. And I got my Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo Thunderbolt interface working with exceptionally small buffers in Windows. Yay!

Everything is fine.

BUT, Windows is less efficient to use (at least for now) and I miss my Mac and the software I got on it.

So, I'm asking if it would be possible to install Mavericks on very modern hardware that is i7-8700K and ThunderboltEX 3?

Cheers

This is my first post so I'm sure it's going to be quite stupid but bear with me.

After Mavericks, Mac ceased to be a pro audio OS. Its kernel now has non-realtime scheduler that causes buffer underruns. Neither Ableton nor anybody could solve the buffer underrun problems even on a maxed out early 2015 MBPR. (I've installed every OS that it supports Yosemite, El capitan, Sierra, High Sierra with 100% legal minimal software, the problem repeats).

So, I bite the bullet and started leaving the Apple ecosystem with a desktop PC.

Now, I have a super fast i7-8700K on Asus Z370-A Prime with ThunderboltEX 3 interface. And I got my Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo Thunderbolt interface working with exceptionally small buffers in Windows. Yay!

Everything is fine.

BUT, Windows is less efficient to use (at least for now) and I miss my Mac and the software I got on it.

So, I'm asking if it would be possible to install Mavericks on very modern hardware that is i7-8700K and ThunderboltEX 3?

Cheers

Forget it. Mavericks has no support for Thunderbolt 3 and new hardware like Coffee Lake.

The latest hardware that Mavericks supports is Haswell (Core ix 4xxx / Intel 8 and 9 series chipsets).

Only High Sierra has native support for Coffee Lake hardware like your system.

OK, then. One less decision to make. If I'll go hackintosh, I'll go high sierra.

Thanks.

After Mavericks, Mac ceased to be a pro audio OS. Its kernel now has non-realtime scheduler that causes buffer underruns . Neither Ableton nor anybody could solve the buffer underrun problems even on a maxed out early 2015 MBPR. (I've installed every OS that it supports Yosemite, El capitan, Sierra, High Sierra with 100% legal minimal software, the problem repeats).

Everything is fine.

Cheers

Totally with ya' man... Pro Tools 2018 over here with the UAD Apollo 8... Using the CPU min/max power settings in Windows 10 is the way to get this stuff to work. If you have to have APFS on the system, at least avoid it on your recording/media/sample drives. You'll thank me later. What's your buffer that's stable? Is it a 24/44.1 KHz session?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back