Contribute
Register

Can I install Big Sur 11.6 on AMD Ryzen 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ono

Motherboard
MSI B250 PC MATE
CPU
i5-7500
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have a computer with the following hardware specification:
*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor;
*ASUS ROG STRIX G15DK_G15DK motherboard;
*Ethernet RTL8111;
*Network Controller RTL8822CE PCIe Wifi;
*NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210]
So far I have had a computer with an Intel processor (Kaby Lake) and I have been helped by the advanced members of this forum to make a high-performance macOS, for which I am deeply grateful. I have recently replaced this computer with one that has an AMD Ryzen 7 processor. I'm currently running it on Ubuntu Fossa, but I wish I could work on it with macOS, which can be Catalina, or Big Sur, because I know that Monterey has NVIDIA GPU support suspended.
I was glad to read that the Forum is also open for installing macOS on computers with an AMD processor. That is why I am addressing the Forum, in the hope that I will be able to receive valuable guidance on creating the respective OpenCore folder, as well as other necessary settings.
I found some indications on the Net, but following them, I was not able to install anything. I think the ASUS ROG G15DK motherboard does not appear in any tutorial. Is it still compatible with macOS?

Not with the Nvidia GT218 (Geforce 210) graphics card.

You would need a compatible Kepler GPU or better yet a relatively new AMD GPU, if you want to upgrade to Monterey or newer in the future.

The Ryzen CPU and AMD B550 Chipset motherboard are fine for running macOS. But there are a few minor additional steps required to get the B550 motherboard running smoothly.

Obviously the GTX1650S, which came in the ASUS ROG STRIX G15DK_G15DK system is a non starter with macOS.

Obviously the GTX1650S, which came in the ASUS ROG STRIX G15DK_G15DK system is a non starter with macOS.
Therefore, it is not recommended for macOS. Should I put the processor on a B350 chipset motherboard? Would that only work?

The CPU and Motherboard are fine, unless the Nvidia GPU is built-in to the B550 motherboard. The gallery images for the Asus System show the GTX 1650S is connected via a PCIe slot to the motherboard, so it can be removed or replaced. The issue is not with the CPU or motherboard, but the fact the dGPU is not and never will be compatible with macOS.

Moving the CPU to another AMD Motherboard still leaves you with the issue of not having a suitable/compatible discrete Graphics card for macOS.

Moving the GTX 1650S to another system, and replacing it with a compatible AMD graphics card is what you need to be looking to do.

You have given me wonderful news that revives my hope. The NVIDIA GPU card is on the pci-e slot and I put it on because I bought the computer without the original GPU card. Therefore, I would kindly ask you to indicate a compatible dGPU that can help build a macOS. I will not use the computer for games, but to be able to communicate, watch a movie, and other similar activities. Thank you for your help. And I wish I could install on it, Catalina, or Big Sur, or maybe Monterey. I will read all the instructions carefully and I will get an EFI folder, with which I can fulfill this wish.

Here is a link to the Dortania GPU Buyers Guide - https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/

This guide goes through all the recent AMD and NVIDIA GPU's that will or won't work with macOS.

You should start with a review of the AMD GPU's - https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html, as these will be the cards that are supported in Monterey and earlier versions of macOS.

The Nvidia Kepler series graphics cards from 2012/2013 are supported in macOS from Mountain Lion up to and including Big Sur. Support was dropped for these natively supported cards with the release of Monterey. - https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/nvidia-gpu.html.

With the anticipated work processes you listed an AMD RX470/480 or RX570/580 graphics card 4GB/8GB would more than meet your needs. But they are only available 2nd hand/used.

New, the only AMD RX500 series cards I would suggest you have a look at would be the Yeston RX560 4GB card. These can be sourced for a reasonable amount in the current GPU market. Here is a link to a thread regrading these cards on TMx86 - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...x-560-4gb-graphics-card-now-available.311277/

The RX Vega, RX5000 and RX6000 series cards are obviously better, but they come at a premium cost.

Reactions: ono
I studied the OpenCore Install Guide -> Ryzen and ThreadRipper, then built the EFI Folder, which I copied into the Catalina macOS installation stick. Then I launched the stick and received the messages, which I want to attach. I also got a snapshot of the screen with the position where OpenCore freezes. Please, if you have time, look at them and tell me where I'm wrong.

Attachments

• Catalina_AMD_Stick.jpg
    Catalina_AMD_Stick.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 150
  • opencore-2022-02-21-161407.pdf
    37.5 KB · Views: 92
  • EFI.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 156
Try this revised AMD EFI folder. I have added the npci=0x2000 boot argument, as the screen image you showed looked like the next line would have been PCI Configuration Begin. This boot argument can alleviate that kernel panic.

I have also made a few other changes to the kext folder and config.plist removing options that your system won't use and doesn't need.

See how you get on booting macOS Big Sur with this EFI.

Obviously you need to add MLB, Rom, Serial Number and SystemUUID to the config.plist.

Do not change anything else in the config!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 199
iMac 19.1 is not recommended for Ryzen systems, iMacPro1,1 or MacPro 7.1 are most commonly used. 19.1 is known to be buggy.
npci=0x2000 missing from boot arg. most likely causing error.
SuperIO.xxx kexts are for Intel systems. Look into "TrulySpinach" for AMDprocessor kexts and utilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back