Contribute
Register

Can I buy new mac mini with Sierra already installed and download Yosemite on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I ask this question as I don't know anybody with a Mac and I want to try a Hackintosh. I've seen a poster on here with a similar laptop to mine (I have Thinkpad Yoga S1) do a hackintosh with Yosemite installed. I have access to Mac's at college that I don't really use but I think they're locked down and I don't have any Admin rights (do you need Admin rights to get all the stuff you need for an Hackintosh? e.g. download Yosemite and what ever else you need to do?)

Anyway if I need right's I was thinking my next best option is to buy a mac mini from a Apple store and if possible download Yosemite, get set up and then return the Mac Mini back to Apple within their return period. I know the last Mac Mini came out in 2014 but I believe that they now ship with Seirra so i'm not 100% sure if the old Yosemite can be downloaded or not? Also I don't want to invalidate anything where I would have to keep the Mac Mini as it looks like quite poor value for money.

You can only download Yosemite if you have done so previously while it was still available at the MAS. It would be found under your Purchased tab. I believe they will still let you get El Capitan though if you haven't downloaded it before.

Thanks, I guess I couldn't do it from college computers either as I imagine that the purchased tab would be locked away? maybe I might buy an old macbook or mac mini, I've been looking at some and people have upgraded them to Sierra, if I buy, since I have not previously purchased any previous OS with my login would that prevent me from downloading Yosemite too?

If you can get to the Mac app store from the College Computer you can create an Apple ID and download El Cap or Sierra. That is, only if the account is not a Guest or Standard Account. You'd need the Admin name and password. I still don't think you'll be able to get Yosemite anyway, it's just not available any more. There is not much difference at all between Yosemite and El Cap. Get El Cap now while it's still there. You can also buy any post 2010 Mac and create a new Apple ID, then download it. Free of charge. Get Sierra as well before that gets removed later this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back