Contribute
Register

Can Clover install MacOS directly to an M.2 drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Installing to a mobo that has M.2 booting support (Gigabyte z170XP) - will out-of-the-box Clover see an M.2 drive and install MacOS to it? Or is there some editing of clover needed before it will see the M.2 drive?

Yup - SATA III. Thanks!!!!

Oh - and I can confidently say that's NOT a rumour but the rules here regarding people who are developers prohibit me (and rightfully so) from explaining the rationale for my confidence.

For Sierra and NVMe M.2 SSDs, see RehabMan's [Guide] HackrNVMeFamily co-existence with IONVMeFamily using class-code spoof.

However, if you can wait until Fall, rumors have it that High Sierra, coming out in the Fall, will support NVMe M.2 SSDs natively.

If your M.2 SSD is a SATA (AHCI) drive, it's supported OOB.

Last edited:
Oh - and I can confidently say that's NOT a rumour

No one can say for sure until the final 10.13 build is released.
Predicting the future is, after all, impossible.

So was it true in the end? Are the Nvme drives supported out of the box?

Support is better. But there is issues with TRIM+APFS (automatic with NVMe). Certain drives still need a (simple) patch (Liteon/Hynix/Plextor).

Support is better. But there is issues with TRIM+APFS (automatic with NVMe). Certain drives still need a (simple) patch (Liteon/Hynix/Plextor).
Thank you RehabMan. I am experiencing TRIM+APFS issues at this moment, therefore considered to upgrade to Nvme.

Thank you RehabMan. I am experiencing TRIM+APFS issues at this moment, therefore considered to upgrade to Nvme.

TRIM+APFS issues do not go away with NVMe.
In fact, it is worse, as you can't disable TRIM with NVMe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back