Contribute
Register

Can clover do everything chimera can - like boot to linux using grub1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
10.7, 10.8, 10.9
CPU
i5-3570K, i3-2105
Graphics
HD4000, NVidia 210
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I read lots about the advantages of clover, but is there anything chimera can do that is impossible for clover?
I have a specific problem which is getting clover to boot my rather dated linux partition - something chimera can do - but wondered more generally?

Thanks to the fantastic guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html, I have managed to install Mavericks on my GA-Z77X-UD5H. Previously I had a ML setup with chimera which I installed using unibeast and then configured with multibeast.

Before I spend time trying to get everything working (well it all works pretty much out of the box except for the audio) I wanted to make sure I could still boot my other operating systems which sit on a separate disk. I am following exactly the instructions in the above guide, using the minimal config.plist and have configured using legacy bios mode for clover. With both disks in I can still boot OSX, I can also boot Windows 7 and I can see the linux boot partition which is on a primary partition with grub installed on the partition (but not on the disk's MBR). Chimera could see the grub partition too and pass control to it and linux would boot successfully. When I select to boot from that partition via clover I get the grub menu (so it is starting to work) but I have no usb keyboard and the default grub boot option fails to start. Without the usb keyboard I cannot diagnose grub.

Most of my internet searches link to clover UEFI setups more than legacy bios. I am trying to get a rather old operating system to work (it is linux RHEL5) for historic reasons. Does clover have limitations here or do I simply need to work harder?

sorry theoretician, i cannot give you an answer regarding Linux booting issue other than i believe it should work with Clover but will just take more research and trial and error (apologies again..).

I just wanted to inform you that there are two options to get your audio working

Option 1 -Easy Method: MultiBeast - select your motherboards audio codec Realtek ALCxxx and then select the option 'Optional EFI Installed Bootloader Support' and this should give you audio

Option 2 -Advanced Method : Patch audio on the fly in Clover - Please refer to my thread #138

NOTE: i do not know if this method works without a DSDT but if you have a DSDT or are comfortable creating one with MaciASL then i recommend option 2

Advantages of Option 2: audio does not break after a version update and this option does not appear to break audio after long sleep (which has been a problem with the latest MultiBeast 6 series)

Thanks Robbish. I found your original post a couple of days ago when preparing my install but have not tried it yet as I wanted to ensure the other operating systems could be made to work. I prefer the idea of Option 2 for audio.

I also noticed that Toleda has produced a new script: https://github.com/toleda/audio_cloverALC which looks like it does everything to set up audio in one go. The script was only a few hours old on the site so I thought I'd wait for people more expert than me to try before I try it. Maybe you have tried it?

Still struggling with grub1. It looks like you might be able to use grub as the initial installer based on my non OSX drive and then chainload to clover but that feels like the tail wagging the dog as I would really like to clover to be the main boot loader.

.. I prefer the idea of Option 2 for audio. I also noticed that Toleda has produced a new script: https://github.com/toleda/audio_cloverALC which looks like it does everything to set up audio in one go..

thanks for the heads up theoretician, tested new Toleda v2 script and works with a few mouse clicks. See new post started for patching audio in Clover

Still struggling with grub1. It looks like you might be able to use grub as the initial installer based on my non OSX drive and then chainload to clover but that feels like the tail wagging the dog as I would really like to clover to be the main boot loader.

OP's out there booting Linux & OSX in Clover, please help this poster resolve his grub1 problem, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back