i7-8700
Graphics
GT 1030 + UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Number one, many apologies if I'm posting to the wrong forum.

Hey guys, I've got a weird problem going on. But before, maybe a little background.

I've been a hackintosh user since Snow Leopard, and actually my disk has been copied since then (that could be a problem?).

I've been running just fine on Sierra, but I haven't been able to do Xcode builds for a while. I bought a new video card because my old one didn't support Metal (GT 1030). And then one day I had enough time to install, so I did. I booted the USB stick and installed.

Everything seemed to work fine until the reboot. I just couldn't get into the system. I figured this was because of the age of the system, having been bought in 2013. I figured it was upgrade time, and got a i7-8700, a Gigabyte Z390 UD and 2 sticks of 16G PC4-2400 RAM. I'm currently booting without the GT 1030, just to limit the entropy.

But I just can't boot off the SSD. I can see that it's been converted to APFS, and I can access it from the installer. The installer still boots fine with a USB stick. But trying to boot the SSD with the USB stick just hangs very shortly after init'ing the base subsystems.

One other thing to mention, this SSD never had EFI working on it. I had used legacy mode to boot off of it, and figured I'd correct my mistake after installed Mojave.
IMG_8648.JPG

This is from the SSD.

IMG_8641.JPG

And this is when booting into the installer. The SSD is missing the mcache and mbinit lines and everything after. Both are receiving a lot of port warnings about USB, but USB was working fine in the installer.

I'm also attaching my Clover config.plist. I've hacked it a bit to try to get it to work, to no avail.

Kexts are:

* AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
* FakePCIID.kext
* FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext
* FakeSMC.kext
* IntelMausiEthernet.kext
* Lilu.kext
* RealtekRTL8111.kext
* USBInjectAll.kext
* WhateverGreen.kext
* XHCI-unsupported.kext

And in drivers64UEFI, I have:

* ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi
* AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
* AudioDxe-64.efi
* DataHubDxe-64.efi
* FSInject-64.efi
* PartitionDxe-64.efi
* SMCHelper-64.efi
* VBoxHfs-64.efi

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.5 KB · Views: 58
Your kext folder is a bit mismatched and I dare say you're config.plist - Copy and place your current EFI folder in a safe place incase you want to go back to it. Now delete it from the EFI Partition and copy and paste the one attached here. I have taken the liberty to match a Mac model suited to your specs, you'll just need to edit the config.plist with S/N, ROM UUID etc. If you do managed to reach the desktop you'll need to do some fine tuning like updating any or all the kexts. Please let us know your progress. Good luck.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16.8 MB · Views: 57
Thanks for that!

It does seem to have helped, but it's still not booting. The USB errors appear to be completely gone, but now there are a lot of ACPI patching errors. I'm attaching screenshots of the boot process. I did miss some stuff in the middle, but I'm pretty sure it was just more ACPI patching messages. Are those fatal?

The SuperIO error comes up whether the serial port is enabled or disabled.

IMG_8650.JPG
IMG_8651.JPG

Sorry for the angles, I was trying to cut down on the glare. :-D

Thanks! I'll investigate some of the errors and update if I find anything.

Ok lets try a different angle - attached are two folders, use the 'PRE-INSTALL' efi folder on your usb installer (just delete it and replace it with this one) and the 'POST-INSTALL' efi folder goes the efi partition of your main drive if all goes well. Good luck.

Attachments

• POST-INSTALL Aorus Pro Z390 EFI - Intel UHD630.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 69
  • PRE-INSTALL Aorus Pro Z390 EFI - Intel UHD630.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 42
BTW - These files and configurations are not my own but were configured by glasgood (insanelymac) for the Gigabyte Z390 board. I used them to get my rig up and running and then added my own flavour so to speak to suit my needs.

Okay, I have quite a bit of progress to report on. Initially those kexts didn't help, and I was stumped why. But as I thought about it, and it was only booting off of the SSD that was a problem; I looked back to the drive's /L/E/ & /S/L/E to make sure there wasn't anything left over.

Sure enough, there were some old kexts there. I might report later on which ones they were, but about 5 were left over that I hadn't noticed during cleanup.

With that, I could boot off of my EFI from the beginning. Wanna guess why?

I had Mojave 10.14.0. I'm guessing that the reason your kexts didn't work is because they were geared for newer versions. I decided to update to 10.14.5, and now I've booted into your POST EFI.. Unfortunately, USB isn't working.. And I only have USB keyboard & touch pad. So, I'm also not sure what else is working. :-D

I'm fine for now, thanks for you all your help! I'll update this thread as I find out more, in case it can help anyone else.

Btw, after looking into it it seems like the nVidia GT 1030 (which is pascal and required web drivers) isn't going to be working? If not, I'm thinking about going with a MSI Radeon RX 570 ARMOR OC 4GB GDDR5. Anyone have any opinions? I'm looking for something not too expensive, not too energy consumptive and that will last for a few macOS versions.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back