Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68Xp-UD3P
CPU
i5 > Need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
GT 710
Hi there, my usb3 Bus it shows and month extern usb device in the reporting system but it is not available on Finder or disc utility. :banghead:

Maybe some of you have already solved this problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-03 at 06.44.39.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-03 at 06.44.39.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 59
Hi there, my usb3 Bus it shows and month extern usb device in the reporting system but it is not available on Finder or disc utility. :banghead:

Maybe some of you have already solved this problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi there.

This is because your motherboard (the one in your profile) uses 3rd-party USB3 chipsets that macOS Catalina doesn't have drivers for (Etron EJ168).

You can try a very old kext called GenericUSBXHCI.kext which was written to activate a few 3rd-party USB chipsets, but it may not work for you as it is over 5-years old now and no-longer supported.

Hi there.

This is because your motherboard (the one in your profile) uses 3rd-party USB3 chipsets that macOS Catalina doesn't have drivers for (Etron EJ168).

You can try a very old kext called GenericUSBXHCI.kext which was written to activate a few 3rd-party USB chipsets, but it may not work for you as it is over 5-years old now and no-longer supported.

Thanks, I had already tried this unfortunately it doesn't work, indeed, by installing the GenericUSBXHCI.kext then the usb3 even from reporting system disappear.
BTW it is frustrating to see ubs3s present in the report system but not being able to use them, I think I will be forced to update my components soon. Thanks again

Thanks, I had already tried this unfortunately it doesn't work, indeed, by installing the GenericUSBXHCI.kext then the usb3 even from reporting system disappear.
BTW it is frustrating to see ubs3s present in the report system but not being able to use them, I think I will be forced to update my components soon. Thanks again

Yes, sadly, trying to use the latest macOS builds can mean older hardware is no-longer supported. The alternative here is to get another, add-on PCIe USB3 card, but finding a natively compatible one can be difficult.

Yes, sadly, trying to use the latest macOS builds can mean older hardware is no-longer supported. The alternative here is to get another, add-on PCIe USB3 card, but finding a natively compatible one can be difficult.
Thanks for the tip!
BTW I did the Catalina installation, I was forced to install with the "legacy" anyway except usb3 everything works perfectly, the computer boot fast, even the graphics have been fully recognized oob, pretically exactly how a perfect hackintosh system should be, but the only problem is that after a period of work sometimes an hour and sometimes even over 2 hours then suddenly everything freezes, the image, the clock etc. It's a strange reaction, hard for me to understand where the problem may be, it could come from many reasons, but at least I don't think it's Catalina, otherwise I couldn't work smoothly for over two hours, besides the temperature is constant I also added two extra SpeedFans 120". However, maybe you had this problem, or any advice to focus on where it comes from without dismantling all the components? Maybe there is a monitor app that records all movements, reactions, including the reason for the computer blocking during work?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip!
BTW I did the Catalina installation, I was forced to install with the "legacy" anyway except usb3 everything works perfectly, the computer boot fast, even the graphics have been fully recognized oob, pretically exactly how a perfect hackintosh system should be, but the only problem is that after a period of work sometimes an hour and sometimes even over 2 hours then suddenly everything freezes, the image, the clock etc. It's a strange reaction, hard for me to understand where the problem may be, it could come from many reasons, but at least I don't think it's Catalina, otherwise I couldn't work smoothly for over two hours, besides the temperature is constant I also added two extra SpeedFans 120". However, maybe you had this problem, or any advice to focus on where it comes from without dismantling all the components? Maybe there is a monitor app that records all movements, reactions, including the reason for the computer blocking during work?

Hmmm, you probably need to check out the crash logs to see if there is a clue there. You were right to test temperatures - that is something that can cause a problem after a certain time.

With that discounted then the GPU might be the cause. To test this, are the keyboard LEDs for CapsLock still operational? If yes, it's possibly graphics, if the system is dead then it's a full-on crash.

Hmmm, you probably need to check out the crash logs to see if there is a clue there. You were right to test temperatures - that is something that can cause a problem after a certain time.

With that discounted then the GPU might be the cause. To test this, are the keyboard LEDs for CapsLock still operational? If yes, it's possibly graphics, if the system is dead then it's a full-on crash.
Hi, about checking out the crash logs you mean booting with -v flag? However I have not noticed this detail you have listed about LEDs for CapsLock if it is still operational, but at the next freezer I will try this important tip. I have been using it for almost 4 hours now, and it's all normal, but still I will continue until it crashes. Thanks again for the golden tips.

Hi, about checking out the crash logs you mean booting with -v flag? However I have not noticed this detail you have listed about LEDs for CapsLock if it is still operational, but at the next freezer I will try this important tip. I have been using it for almost 4 hours now, and it's all normal, but still I will continue until it crashes. Thanks again for the golden tips.

No, the crash logs are text files written to your Library folder. The -v flag is Verbose boot mode. No use here two hours in :) .

No, the crash logs are text files written to your Library folder. The -v flag is Verbose boot mode. No use here two hours in :) .
Ok, now after more than 4 hours there has been a new crash, and more probably it is a total crash, this is because the keyboard didn't work at all.
For "the crash logs are text files" do you mean maybe the folder Library > Logs> DiagnosticReports?

Last edited:
Ok, now after more than 4 hours there has been a new crash, and more probably it is a total crash, this is because the keyboard didn't work at all. Do you mean the folder Library > Logs> DiagnosticReports?

Yes. Is there a Crash log in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back