Contribute
Register

Can anyone confirm iTunes Video purchase playback on Haswell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Dual Radeon
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm still tinkering with my Haswell build and cannot get past a problem when playing iTunes video purchases. There are lots of threads about this already (search "Itunes video" in the forums) and it seems like a fairly common problem. Can anyone out there confirm that they DO have iTunes purchased video playback working with an 8-series Haswell system?

Here are my specs:

GA-Z87MX-D3H
SanDisk 240GB SSD
Gigabyte GTX 780
32GB Patriot DDR3 1866MHz

At first I thought it was the graphics, so I threw in an old AMD 6870 and things changed a little. Instead of just not playing video it popped up a window saying: The selected movie won't play on your display.
This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection).

In Windows 8.1 HDCP content plays without issue, and nVidia Control Panel verified HDCP is enabled, so this tells me that it is not hardware related. I then tried removing the Graphics card entirely and used the Intel Integrated Graphics, and not only will iTunes not play purchased videos, the who system freezes and is completely unresponsive, nothing shows up in console, and only a hard reset will bring it back.

Summary:

With GTX780, video playback stays at 00:00 and a black screen
With Radeon 6870, video playback produces a pop-up error saying that my system is not HDCP compliant
With integrated graphics, system freezes and need a hard reset

Is anyone out there on Haswell with working iTunes Video purchases?

UPDATE: I just installed Mavericks with all of the updates onto an older Q6600 Asus P5K-E Wifi/AP system and iTunes video played, but only for about five seconds. After that I get this message:

The selected movie won't play on your display.
This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection).

This is the same message that I'm getting on my Haswell build, but at least the video STARTED playing, and didn't immediately produce an error. Strange.

2nd UPDATE: On the same system (Q6600 Asus P5K-E), I switched to a 23" Acer P235H display (same HDMI cable used on other display) and now video is playing perfectly. Seems like this narrows it down a bit. I've confirmed that on a non-UEFI BIOS, Core2 system, HDCP WORKS. It doesn't work on my system, but maybe I just need to change some software? Anyone have any additional information about this problem?

Thanks for the good info, have you managed to make any further progress ?

Having the exact same problem on a H87N-WIFI with GeForce GT 640 graphics and dual monitors plugged in to the two DVI ports on the video card. Non-iTunes purchased videos (like home movies) play fine. It's only films and tv shows I purchased that don't work.
I've tried:
- Unplugging one and then the other monitor and restarting with just one plugged in at a time
- De-authorizing/Re-authorizing the computer

Problem affects both HD and SD video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back