Motherboard
Apple 2023 Mac Mini - Mac14,12
CPU
M2 Pro
Graphics
Apple
Mac
  1. Mac mini
It would appear that with the notice for a new version of Clover (5071. From the optional System Pref Pane), the zip file that downloads from the usual Sourceforge site only contains a file named New_version.rtf file with the text:
"You are in the wrong place, go here
https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/releases"

New releases are listed with v2.5k r5096 topping the list at the time of writing. DL & installed as usual except for the warning of:
"This package is incompatible with this version of macOS.
The package is trying to install content to the system volume. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."
Followed by Quit or Install. Clicked install and it proceeded as usual and on restart, works fine and seems to be legit.

EDIT: I looked around the site a bit further and it also has a new version of FakeSMC.kext and specific sensors as well as the Hardware Monitor app (HWMonitorSMC2 v2.5.0).

Last edited:
I confirm. I was able to install on 4 hackies but on one it after I click continue, I get these messages. I cannot change the permissions of the EFI. Can anybody help?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 18.11.17.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 18.11.17.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 371
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 18.11.28.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 18.11.28.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 400
I confirm. I was able to install on 4 hackies but on one it after I click continue, I get these messages. I cannot change the permissions of the EFI. Can anybody help?

Catalina changes how permissions to the system directories are handled. Before attempting any such change, you must remount the filesystem read-write. Hackintool can do this via the GUI, or you can do so in Terminal with:

Code:
sudo mount -uw /
killall Finder

Reboot after your install to allow macOS to mount the system partition read-only as it expects afterwards.

"This package is incompatible with this version of macOS.
The package is trying to install content to the system volume.

Any installer attempting to write to a location on the system partition will generate this message in Catalina, even if you do remount the filesystem as described above. It will allow it, but on real Macs nothing is supposed to write to these locations so that's what happens, heh. OpenCore, where several of the devs have moved to in the last few months, currently avoids this by having you just manually move the files into place on the EFI partition.

@Superbogey Thx for your ask. Was also my question when I read the document.
So plz someone with high reputation in the community can answer?!
At this time I will not install Clover higher than 5170.
Would be nice to switch to github, but you have to inform the community!
Perhaps you should think about signing your packages via gpg.
Not only checkm8 can break the bootloader.

This might be a totally legitimate move to Github for hosting Clover builds, but the way it was done without any announcement looks sketchy AF.

Not installing 5071 from Github until some kind of announcement is posted about the change and echoed by other reputable folks in the community. I agree with @oberlon – having multiple developers sign packages would help us trust that these packages haven't been tampered with and are legitimate.

@tonymacx86 @Stork @toleda @pastrychef
Could one of you - or any of the other mods - weigh in on this? Has there been an official notice on Clover development hand-off that was missed/not announced? The way this was handled with only a redirect in a text file inside of a supposed update (ver 2.5k r5071) is really odd and makes it look sketchy (as @idontevenexercise stated above). Thanks in advance for any help you can give to settle this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back