Contribute
Register

Can an old operating system be installed on new components without problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
z17x-gaming5
CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
gtx 1080ti
Hi, we want to build another pc with my cousin, but we have a question, he used an old system, like yosemite or maverick, so we wanted to build a pc with current components, that is, an i5 10600k and mother for that processor gene, then the doubt It comes if that version of the system could be installed on a pc with current components, why that system? because he makes music and that system as he says is more stable for him and the program he uses flows well there

Hi, we want to build another pc with my cousin, but we have a question, he used an old system, like yosemite or maverick, so we wanted to build a pc with current components, that is, an i5 10600k and mother for that processor gene, then the doubt It comes if that version of the system could be installed on a pc with current components, why that system? because he makes music and that system as he says is more stable for him and the program he uses flows well there
yosemite or mavericks won't work with a i5 10600k

If you wanted to know that then it is not worth investing in current components for older systems, is it?
yosemite or mavericks won't work with a i5 10600k

If you wanted to know that then it is not worth investing in current components for older systems, is it?
your question sounded like he wanted to use a new coffee lake processor with yosemite or mavericks, which is not possible

but we have a question, he used an old system, like yosemite or maverick, so we wanted to build a pc with current components, that is, an i5 10600k and mother for that processor gene, then the doubt It comes if that version of the system could be installed on a pc with current components, why that system?
Mavericks was released back in 2013 so if you want to run that or Yosemite it's probably best to buy a Haswell refresh system. The i7-4790 CPU is still good for audio work unless he is a professional that needs the fastest hardware possible. You can put 32GB of DDR3 ram into one of these Haswell systems too. You can use HD4600 graphics or install a supported Nvidia graphics card. Kepler based is best. Newer AMD cards are not supported in Mavericks or Yosemite, such as the Polaris 20,21 series or newer.

Have a look at this guide and determine if he could benefit from buying one and installing Mavericks or Yosemite.

Something like this can be upgraded with an SSD boot drive and a 32GB ram kit.

Last edited:
Mavericks was released back in 2013 so if you want to run that or Yosemite it's probably best to buy a Haswell refresh system. The i7-4790 CPU is still good for audio work unless he is a professional that needs the fastest hardware possible. You can put 32GB of DDR3 ram into one of these Haswell systems too. You can use HD4600 graphics or install a supported Nvidia graphics card. Kepler based is best. Newer AMD cards are not supported in Mavericks or Yosemite, such as the Polaris 20,21 series or newer.

Have a look at this guide and determine if he could benefit from buying one and installing Mavericks or Yosemite.

Something like this can be upgraded with an SSD boot drive and a 32GB ram kit.

I am very grateful, this is just what I was looking for, so it would be an i7 4790, minimum 16gb of ram (32gb), a 500gb samsung evo, GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK motherboard, nvidia GTX-650 graphics, which this combination will stop you

I am very grateful, this is just what I was looking for, so it would be an i7 4790, minimum 16gb of ram (32gb), a 500gb samsung evo, GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK motherboard, nvidia GTX-650 graphics, which this combination will stop you
It appears that all this hardware will work with Mavericks or Yosemite. I started with Yosemite on my GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK back in late 2014 and it ran fine on that system. Try using Unibeast for Yosemite and the Clover version associated with that. Start a new support thread in Yosemite Desktop Support if you need any help.

Or do you recommend any other mother?
If you can find the Gigabyte motherboard you mentioned use that. If not you can easily find one of the Dell Optiplex 7020/9020 MT boards. There is a detailed guide for that system but it was written for Mojave.

If you can find the Gigabyte motherboard you mentioned use that. If not you can easily find one of the Dell Optiplex 7020/9020 MT boards. There is a detailed guide for that system but it was written for Mojave.
Thank you very much, it helped me a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back