i3-9100F
Graphics
RX 5600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,

So I am helping my friend out building this awesome high end PC / Hackintosh and I was looking for best parts. He mainly uses it for premiere pro (6k videos) and photoshop on the mac side, on the Windows side he wants to use it for 3D rendering stuff (Maya etc)

Here is the build I came up with:
CPU: AMD ThreadRipper 3970X
FAN: Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3
MOBO: Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master
MEM: 256GB G-Skill Trident Z (32x8), DDR4 3600
STORAGE: 2 x M2 WD_BLACK SN850 (one for windows other for mac) 1x M2 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q (shared between Windows and Mac)
GPU:
-----MAC:
PowerColor RX 5700 XT (for Catalina support)
-----WINDOWS: MSI Ventus 3X Nvidia 3090 (yes he is willing to pay double for it to get it)
CASE: Fractal Design R6 (hope its big enough for the 3090, it says on website 440mm, card is 306mm)
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1300 Watt G2 80+ (modular)
OS: Catalina (he has software that only works on Catalina and not on big sur sadly, hence the 5700 XT and not the 6900 XT, I cant find a Radeon 7 either as an alternative)
Boot Loader: Latest Open Core

So I saw on the forums that some people were successful with the parts above, I am not sure if anything was not working hence I want to post before I order it. Here are some of my concerns:

- Can't really find the EFI posted yet, this forum had two people say it all worked out however no EFI was posted.
- I have never done dual boot with where I used nvidia for windows and amd for mac, I do know there is posts enough to learn how to disable a gpu on mac. I think I can probably do the same on windows where I disable the 5700 XT on windows.
- Dimensions of the 3090 within the case above, unsure even though looked up the specs.
- Any issues with this setup that I need to know off, USB, audio etc couldnt find any info, I want to take the safest route to making a near perfect machine.

Let me know what you guys think, we really appreciate it!

Thank you,
Qwin

Resources found:
[Success] AMD Threadripper 3970x, Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master | tonymacx86.com (guy says that wifi and BT works on this mobo)
Building the World’s Fastest Hackintosh in 2020 | 4K Shooters (very similar setup)

Last edited:
Was wondering if anyone has thoughts of using a intel 10980XE (18 core) system instead and if thats better ? not sure if there are any mobos supporting 256GB though.

UPDATE:
just looked it up supports 256GB (x299 chipset platform)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

So I am helping my friend out building this awesome high end PC / Hackintosh and I was looking for best parts. He mainly uses it for premiere pro (6k videos) and photoshop on the mac side, on the Windows side he wants to use it for 3D rendering stuff (Maya etc)

Here is the build I came up with:
CPU: AMD ThreadRipper 3970X
FAN: Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3
MOBO: Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master
MEM: 256GB G-Skill Trident Z (32x8), DDR4 3600
STORAGE: 2 x M2 WD_BLACK SN850 (one for windows other for mac) 1x M2 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q (shared between Windows and Mac)
GPU:
-----MAC:
PowerColor RX 5700 XT (for Catalina support)
-----WINDOWS: MSI Ventus 3X Nvidia 3090 (yes he is willing to pay double for it to get it)
CASE: Fractal Design R6 (hope its big enough for the 3090, it says on website 440mm, card is 306mm)
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1300 Watt G2 80+ (modular)
OS: Catalina (he has software that only works on Catalina and not on big sur sadly, hence the 5700 XT and not the 6900 XT, I cant find a Radeon 7 either as an alternative)
Boot Loader: Latest Open Core

So I saw on the forums that some people were successful with the parts above, I am not sure if anything was not working hence I want to post before I order it. Here are some of my concerns:

- Can't really find the EFI posted yet, this forum had two people say it all worked out however no EFI was posted.
- I have never done dual boot with where I used nvidia for windows and amd for mac, I do know there is posts enough to learn how to disable a gpu on mac. I think I can probably do the same on windows where I disable the 5700 XT on windows.
- Dimensions of the 3090 within the case above, unsure even though looked up the specs.
- Any issues with this setup that I need to know off, USB, audio etc couldn't find any info, I want to take the safest route to making a near perfect machine.

Let me know what you guys think, we really appreciate it!

Thank you,
Qwin

Resources found:
[Success] AMD Threadripper 3970x, Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master | tonymacx86.com (guy says that wifi and BT works on this mobo)
Building the World’s Fastest Hackintosh in 2020 | 4K Shooters (very similar setup)

Was wondering if anyone has thoughts of using a intel 10980XE (18 core) system instead and if thats better ? not sure if there are any mobos supporting 256GB though.

UPDATE:
just looked it up supports 256GB (x299 chipset platform)
If your friend wants to use Adobe applications like Photoshop on MacOS, you should have suggested an Intel build to him. Adobe applications are known to have problems with hackintoshes with AMD CPUs, probably due to the fact that they depend on specific Intel CPU instructions.

Remember, no Macs from Apple ever used any type of AMD CPUs.

Also, the X299 platform is not directly supported on MacOS, as no real Macs use this platform and the corresponding CPUs. You may be able to make it work, but expect more problems compare to mainstream platforms like Z390 and Z490.

@Jamesbond007 Thanks James, I am already looking into the x299 now have created a pretty safe bet based on the Big Sur x299 forums. Seems that some people have an almost golden build with Asus Prime X299 - A II, the EFI is in the forum and a couple of users have said its very stable.
1629998010074.png

this is my list so far. the 3090 will be used for Windows.

If you're looking into X299, also have a look at C422, which the corresponding chipset for Xeon W-2000. Custom bins of the W-2100 family with slightly lower TDP were used in the iMacPro, so this architecture has official support in OS X.
Cascade Lake Xeon W-2200 are more expensive than their Core-X siblings, but the RDIMM they use is less expensive for the same capacity than UDIMM—and allows for more RAM if money is no objection (1 TB RAM anyone?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back