Intel HD
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi there!

First of all, I'm new to the forums and I'm new to the Mackintosh world. I've been a Mac addict since I bought my first MacBook Pro, which I am currently still using. I've considered buying a Mac Pro, but decided it was a bit too expensive for me. I'm hoping to put a decent PC together myself, which I can dual boot (Mac OS X 10.10 & Windows 10).

Motherboard: Asus X99-Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 6-Core 3.3GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 980 FTW ACX 2.0 4GB
Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB) (RAID) + 1TB HDD
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (White)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2

Current price (Amazon): $2100 US

I've done a bit of reading on the forums, considering it's my first attempt at Hackintoshing, and found quite a lot of "unconfirmed" and "temporary". I've also found a number of people that have claimed to have working builds, and some that have encountered issues with the graphics card and motherboard.. Which is true? Can it be done?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...motherboard-temporary-guide-os-x-10-10-a.html

So, I found this link to a guide, but saw it was "temporary". Seeing as it was posted five months ago, I was wondering (also, hoping) there was a newer less temporary guide for it. If not, are there any complete guides I can follow step by step, to make sure I don't mess anything up? Like I said, completely new to it.

You can build that system now, install Windows 7 or 8.1 and use it until there is support for
the X99 chipset in OS X. May be later this year but there is no timetable for the release of
a refreshed Mac Pro yet. Those temporary guides are for early adopters who have more
experience than you do. X99 systems are not in the Buyer's Guide yet. So take as much
time as you need to build it and install Windows on one SSD and you're all set for Yosemite
or whatever comes after that. I'm sure there will be many detailed guides that you can follow
by that time that give a clear, step by step install process for your build.

You can build that system now, install Windows 7 or 8.1 and use it until there is support for
the X99 chipset in OS X. May be later this year but there is no timetable for the release of
a refreshed Mac Pro yet. Those temporary guides are for early adopters who have more
experience than you do. X99 systems are not in the Buyer's Guide yet. So take as much
time as you need to build it and install Windows on one SSD and you're all set for Yosemite
or whatever comes after that. I'm sure there will be many detailed guides that you can follow
by that time that give a clear, step by step install process for your build.

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately that's not something I'd be willing to do. The only real reason why I want to dual-boot windows is to be able to play GTA V (when it comes out). From your reply I gather that is it possible to put OS X on the build, but it's more difficult than it will be in the future. I guess I'll just give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back