Contribute
Register

Buying list for video editing and color correction (need help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-7960X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Hi everyone,
first of all thanks for the information that you are sharing with the rest of people, seriously it's very helpful.
I decided that is time to build a hackintosh after long time thinking about it, but before doing anything I would like to share the list with you and listen to your advices.
This computer is intended to use basically for video editing and color correction, using Adobe CS6 Suite and Resolve Davinci, two monitors plugged, normally huge amount of data in raw format from Red Epic Camera. I will be adding internal HDDs when I'll have more money.

This list is made from different sources, so probably something is wrong:

MOTHERBOARD
transparent-pixel._V386942486_.gif

Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIF​I

CPU

Intel I7-3930K

MEMORY

RAM DDR3 64GB / 1600Mhz CORSAIR Vengeance [8x8GB]

GRAPHICS
GUI MONITOR

Asus GTX650-DCO-1GD5​

REFERENCE MONITOR

Asus ENGTX580 DCII 2DIS 1536MD5

STORAGE

Crucial Technology CT256M4SSD2

Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar

POWER

Corsair HX850W Power Supply, 850 W

COOLING

Corsair CWCH80 Hydro Series

CASE

Corsair Obsidian Series 650D

EXTRA

Cablematic - PCI-Express FireWire 800

Thanks for your help.

Add a second SSD for a scratch drive and things will process much faster. You will probably be kicking yourself later for not doing it now.:mrgreen:

I've never done any photo editing, but I've always found that for professional design applications (autocad, inventor, microstation) the 'consumer' cards are way to inaccurate. At least, that is what my engineers and designers always complain about. Even the cheapest quadro card - allegedly - performs a lot more accurately than these gaming monsters.

So maybe it is something you should look into.

I've never done any photo editing, but I've always found that for professional design applications (autocad, inventor, microstation) the 'consumer' cards are way to inaccurate. At least, that is what my engineers and designers always complain about. Even the cheapest quadro card - allegedly - performs a lot more accurately than these gaming monsters.

So maybe it is something you should look into.

My first choice was a Quadro 4000, but then I found this:
http://www.barefeats.com/rogue04.html
Surprisingly it looks like GTX5xx have best performance in Davinci, even better than a Quadro 6000, that I can't afford. So after a little bit of research I think I will start with this configuration, I can always change the graphic card in the future, no?

Add a second SSD for a scratch drive and things will process much faster. You will probably be kicking yourself later for not doing it now.:mrgreen:

And yes that's a good one, I'll take your advice.

Hey Vito i want to make a similar machine :)

I have a question: you chose such a powerful card for the reference monitor is it also going to accelerate (cuda) Davinci or do they have to be in SLI , how are you thinking of managin it? are they independent?

Sorry for so many questions Off topic but I'm so confused with the PCI express 16x +8x plus sli and **** without knowing exactly what davinci needs :(

By the way here is my build i went the ivy bridge way, but I'm still undecided, but mainly because this board already has thunderbolt and i want to buy a blackmagic camera later so thats a good investment i guess!

http://www.tonymacx86.com/desktop-c...ld-davinci-final-cut-avid-media-composer.html

Anyway how much will that build cost?

another thing if u are going socket 2011 why not get the asus dual socket 2011? and be ready for the future ;) (do't kow how hackale it is and heard any 2011 might have power and sleep issues but I'm still a noob at this :(

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B007JG9IRY/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

Maybe ill buy yours hehe

cheers Francisco

Hi Francisco,
I'm not an expert, but lately I've been reading a lot, trying to find out the proper setup. Let's see if we can help each other.
This configuration costs 2400€

For some reason Resolve Davinci doesn't take advantage of SLI, so it's better an independent setup conecting each monitor to a different graphic card. In the "Building a Resolve Mac Pro" section from The Resolve Davinci manual they always mention two graphic cards independent one for GUI, one for Resolve.
I hope CS6 works well too with this configuration.

The choice of the GTX580 is that I found out reading compairisons, reviews, opinions, that is the fastest card in the 400$-1200$ range for Davinci, even better than Quadro 4000 and 6000, and GTX6xx. Although is not certified by Resolve.
I've been looking for the 3GB memory version here in Spain but no luck, so I hope the 1,5GB will work well too.
Also both of them have Displayport, that's was an important point.

About the CPU + MOBO I'm in doubt too, actually I'm confused about that.
I chose this because of the up to 64GB, and these seems to be a powerful CPU, but not sure if is the best option.
I didn't know that Sandy Bridge was previous to Ivy, what are the advantages so far? Do you think is better to go for the Ivy for a future update?
Also I want to ask you if I buy a dual CPU board, can I use only one and 32GB RAM and upgrade it in the future with another CPU and 32GB more?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back