Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys-

I've spent a while looking up parts etc. and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger. Before I do, I'd love a confirmation from one of the guru's out here:

Intel Core i7 860 Processor 2.80 GHz 8 MB LGA1156
$280 on Amazon for an amazing processor.
Gigabyte GA-P55M - UD4 Intel Core HeatPipe Micro ATX
Seems like an obvious choice for price and compatibility
Antec Sonata III 500 Quiet Super Mini Tower ATX Case
Good case, and good power supply
Corsair XMS3 4 GB PC3-12800 1600Mhz Dual Channel Core i3 i5 i7 DDR3
Cheap at $109 on amazon and seems great
Western Digital 160 GB Caviar Blue SATA 7200 RPM
This is just for OSX and Apps... will pick up a Spinpoint F3 when I find one cheap
Sony Nec Optiarc AD-7241S-0B 24X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA Drive
Cheap and works.

PNY XLR8 9800 GT EE 1024 MB PCI-Express 2.0 DVI with DVI Graphics Card
Now here's where the questions come - first and foremost, is this a good card for the price? I'm using this rig for Final Cut Pro and Photoshop CS5 mostly, but I sometimes use Color and Motion and would like good support to. Is this the best pick?

I'm using two 22" monitors, so I defiantly need 1GB of RAM on the graphics card.

Other random questions...

Is 500W enough for all this? A decent video card, 2 or more hard drives, i7 processor, potentially 4 sticks of RAM...

Can I use the stock cooler that comes with the processor or should I get another one/can you recommend one? Most important is that not too big and not too noisy.

And anybody who has ever owned a similar setup (mostly with the case) how noisy is this rig?

Thanks for all the help!

for the ram i'd go for g.skil eco. it's 10 dollars more, but it is used here by many members and nobody has complaints. i've heard the corsair chips requiring a bit of tuning the voltages and latencies before things get stable.

i wouldn't use the stock cooler, noisy and inefficient.

coolermaster 212+ or mugen scythe for quiet and efficient.

i'll look for the g.skill eco RAM.

but the mugen-b is sold out at newegg so i might try amazon....

thanks!

+1 for mugen scythe its a good and silent solution.

The Micro center shows this part number for Core i7 860
Manufacturer Part Number: 235317

Other online stores show this:
Manufacturer Part Number: BX80601930

I'm wondering whether there is any difference?

Even though a processor is branded as 2.8 GHz, depending on how the chip comes out of a processing plant, it could run at a much higher speed. Do you think the Micro center processors could be of lower quality as marked by Intel?

This is almost as my setup...

As said, get the Eco.
Definitely get the Mugen-2... It's huge but extremely efficient/quiet and cheap !

You should be OK with 500W...

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

kb100 said:
The Micro center shows this part number for Core i7 860
Manufacturer Part Number: 235317

Other online stores show this:
Manufacturer Part Number: BX80601930

I'm wondering whether there is any difference?

Even though a processor is branded as 2.8 GHz, depending on how the chip comes out of a processing plant, it could run at a much higher speed. Do you think the Micro center processors could be of lower quality as marked by Intel?
I have no idea why they use that number or where it comes from but they sell Genuine Boxed Intel processors.

I purchased a Core i5 from them in January the website shows Mfr Part #: 235309, which I can't find anywhere on the box. I'm over clocking this CPU to 3.2 GHz with no problem, so I doubt that they are lower quality products.

It's a genuine boxed i7-860.....my friend and I purchased one from them about a month ago, and they are working flawlessly.

He had his overclocked to 3.5GHz and it was working like a champ. I didn't overclock mine as I am not going to use it as a gaming machine......maybe I might, later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back