Contribute
Register

Buying advice - Have many builds already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 650
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, my fellow hackintosh fans.

I have built several machines for friends and myself. Well, I have sold or gave away pretty much everything but a base model Macbook Pro. It is a 13' model and does fine for almost all my uses.

Well, I have been given a X58A-UD5 and i7-950 CPU. The person also added 12GB of RAM. I would need PSU, GPU, case, wi-fi, and other items to finish a build. Does anyone here feel it is worth spending 500-600 to finish this build?

I could just sell the board and CPU but in a way I wouldn't mind having an X58 build. The reason for this is that I have built an X58 system and it was extremely easy as a 10.8 and 10.9 build.

Any advice is appreciated and thank you all.

Hello, my fellow hackintosh fans.

I have built several machines for friends and myself. Well, I have sold or gave away pretty much everything but a base model Macbook Pro. It is a 13' model and does fine for almost all my uses.

Well, I have been given a X58A-UD5 and i7-950 CPU. The person also added 12GB of RAM. I would need PSU, GPU, case, wi-fi, and other items to finish a build. Does anyone here feel it is worth spending 500-600 to finish this build?

I could just sell the board and CPU but in a way I wouldn't mind having an X58 build. The reason for this is that I have built an X58 system and it was extremely easy as a 10.8 and 10.9 build.

Any advice is appreciated and thank you all.

If the board and CPU have not been mistreated by excessive OC 24/7, build it. It is a very good board/CPU combination and well worth putting it together. Even if you wind up selling it or giving it away, you still get the fun of putting it together and making it work. Doesn't really need a lot, either.
Less than $100 for an ATX case, same for CPU and PSU. You don't need a strong GPU, so inexpensive GT640 at less than $100, and a $40 DVD-RW would finish it out, although you could skip the ODD.

Put a stronger GPU in it and would make a good graphics editor out of it.

some of the older 5 series are easier to build cause the power management worked great natively on some and it's easier to go ground up with no existing macs and only using a snow leopard dvd highly recommend doing this project if nothing else will make a solid everyday web browser

some of the older 5 series are easier to build cause the power management worked great natively on some and it's easier to go ground up with no existing macs and only using a snow leopard dvd highly recommend doing this project if nothing else will make a solid everyday web browser

Appreciate that advice. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back