Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
// Buying Advice for X99 System Build //

Looking to put together an X99 workstation for use in video post production (lot of heavy work, 4K, RED media, etc). Work done mainly in Adobe software (Premiere, AE, PS, etc), as well as DaVinci Resolve.

Here is what I am looking at so far:

CPU: Intel i7-5930k
MB: Unsure - either Asus X99 Deluxe or Gigabyte X99 UD5? Suggestions/recommendations appreciated.
Graphics: GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme 6GB
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB DDR4 2800

All other components I still need to find.
Will everything I have so far work smoothly together?

One of my biggest concerns is that I need Thunderbolt 2 (at least 2 ports, ideally more), preferably capable of daisy chaining. I also need a fair number of USB 3.0 ports (or 3.1?).

I'm sure there's a number of things here I'm forgetting to mention... I'll add as I remember.
The help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Aiden

Looking to put together an X99 workstation for use in video post production (lot of heavy work, 4K, RED media, etc). Work done mainly in Adobe software (Premiere, AE, PS, etc), as well as DaVinci Resolve.

Here is what I am looking at so far:

CPU: Intel i7-5930k
MB: Unsure - either Asus X99 Deluxe or Gigabyte X99 UD5? Suggestions/recommendations appreciated.
Graphics: GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme 6GB
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB DDR4 2800

All other components I still need to find.
Will everything I have so far work smoothly together?

One of my biggest concerns is that I need Thunderbolt 2 (at least 2 ports, ideally more), preferably capable of daisy chaining. I also need a fair number of USB 3.0 ports (or 3.1?).

I'm sure there's a number of things here I'm forgetting to mention... I'll add as I remember.
The help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Aiden

I hope you plan on running Yosemite to have things work "smooth" There is a fair amount of difficulty in setting up El Capitan. You should look at this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/172983-x99-el-capitan-install-misc.html

Hay I'm looking to build a similar system. Is the x99 chipset and additional power of the i7-5930K worth the support issues that come with El Captain? Or is it better to jest stay with a Devils Canyon i7? If anyone is currently using a similar setup to the one above how is it working?

Same question here !
I got several machine maxed out (on 4770Ks), and want to get bigger.

Any adventourous lad around here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back