Graphics
HD 6850
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi!

Going to build my first Build, but I´m not sure if I should buy a SSD instantly or wait?

The rest of my build is nearly the same as "Sandy Bridge CustoMac Build #3"

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6850
RAM: Corsair Vengence Blu 1866Mhz DDR3 (2x4GB) (Later on 4x4gb)
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black
Power Supply: Fractal Design Tesla 650W

Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc
Hard Drive: Corsair Force 3 120gb SSD <-- Thumbs up or thumbs down?
Hard Drive: 2x2TB hopefully to place in RAID 1 (Is it even functional?), maybe another one for Windows Storage.
Installation DVD: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Got it since I upgraded my Whitebook 2007 + Lion now)

I´m Extremely Thankful in Advance!
Any other thoughts and tips are welcome! =)

Sure you can get an SSD right away. You could, however save a few bucks and get one with 60GB or 80GB capacity and move your /Users folder to your data drives (see lnx2mac's blog).

If you get an SSD with a decent garbage collection there's no need for TRIM, otherwise use TRIM Enabler. Not sure, though, whether there's a Lion version yet.

RAID 1 (or RAID 0 or RAID 10 for that matter) using Disk Utility works like a charm and is to be set up like on any real Mac. Booting from a RAID like that is another story but also possible.
Ah, and that RAID won't be recognized in Windows (as to what I know).

flatfoot said:
Sure you can get an SSD right away. You could, however save a few bucks and get one with 60GB or 80GB capacity and move your /Users folder to your data drives (see lnx2mac's blog).

The main Reason for 120gb is Dualboot with Windows 7.

flatfoot said:
If you get an SSD with a decent garbage collection there's no need for TRIM, otherwise use TRIM Enabler. Not sure, though, whether there's a Lion version yet.

RAID 1 (or RAID 0 or RAID 10 for that matter) using Disk Utility works like a charm and is to be set up like on any real Mac. Booting from a RAID like that is another story but also possible.
Ah, and that RAID won't be recognized in Windows (as to what I know).

How do I know if they have the garbage collection or not? The SSD part is completely new for me..

Will consider the RAID..

Thanks!

I recommend to get 2 smaller SSD and install one OS in each.
I do it like that for 2 reasons.

1- If for any reason, the OSX or Windows goes down, you might lose both.
2- if down the line you need more space in either one of the partitions, it will be a real PITA to re-size, assuming is possible at all.
3- in my case, i'm booting less and less into windows, but will keep the second drive in case a game comes that i want to play and is not available for osx.

Please note, i have 2 regular HD, not SSD yet.

grtitan said:

Yeah, I'm aware of that fact... But all of the Sandforce chipset has the same problems...
I'm going to buy the SSD in a local store (biggest and cheapest in Sweden anyway.. MISCO, ever heard about it? A quite big company in Europe) and if I'm countering any problems, they have to replace my disk immediately...

To bad there isn't any good SSD disk that are smaller with a great value..
Well, well... Maybe it's just to wait for some better or more stable drives.. :/

grtitan said:
This one is not looking so bad, besides the known bugs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820233194

Never heard of that company, MISCO, since I never visited Europe, but if I wasn't so afraid of planes, i would love to visit Europe sometime!

You're very Welcome to Visit Sweden if your ever thinking about visiting Europe. Going to study my Master now, but then I'm Back in Gothemburg (Göteborg in swedish), the second biggest City.

Oh man! The companies are really ripping us off here in Sweden.. the 120gd SSD is $194 on Newegg, it's 1590SEK (Swedish Crowns) ~$250 here in Sweden.. The 60gb isn't currently available though.

It's anyway this drive in 120gb is the one I'm planning to get.
But for now when I'm ordering the rig in the end of this month, if i doesn't get a SSD, i guess I've to run the OS one of my EcoGreen 5400rpm disk xD hehe..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back