Contribute
Register

Buy Radeon VII now or wait for Big Navi in September ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
112
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H55-S2H
CPU
i3-530
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys, I am building a video product workstation with ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR + Intel 10900K. I was initially planning to use AMD Radeon VII but as AMD's Big Navi GPUs are coming in September and later this year; will I be able to use the build using ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR's Integrated Graphics without any GPU at the moment and later buy the GPU when it will be out? What do you think guys? I will be gutted if I spend $700 on Radeon VII and see the new one around the same price with better performance coming in months!!
 
Joined
Jan 2, 2020
Messages
213
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Hey guys, I am building a video product workstation with ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR + Intel 10900K. I was initially planning to use AMD Radeon VII but as AMD's Big Navi GPUs are coming in September and later this year; will I be able to use the build using ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR's Integrated Graphics without any GPU at the moment and later buy the GPU when it will be out? What do you think guys? I will be gutted if I spend $700 on Radeon VII and see the new one around the same price with better performance coming in months!!

If you need it now, get the Radeon VII, if you can wait, get Big Navi.
 
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
112
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H55-S2H
CPU
i3-530
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If you need it now, get the Radeon VII, if you can wait, get Big Navi.

Yeah going to wait for big navi. No point spending $700 while I will get better performance by adding couple of bucks when big navi will be out
 

pastrychef

Moderator
Joined
May 29, 2013
Messages
18,253
Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Who knows when there will be macOS drivers for big Navi...

Who knows how reliable big Navi drivers will be...

Who knows how long it will take for the drivers to be bug free...
 
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
112
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H55-S2H
CPU
i3-530
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Who knows when there will be macOS drivers for big Navi...

Who knows how reliable big Navi drivers will be...

Who knows how long it will take for the drivers to be bug free...

Yeah I agree with you about that. But we are still building with i9 10th gen. So, I am willing to wait for couple of months patiently and use internal gpu if I can get something better. Plus I can buy Radeon VII anyday anyway, so nothing to loose
 

pastrychef

Moderator
Joined
May 29, 2013
Messages
18,253
Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yeah I agree with you about that. But we are still building with i9 10th gen. So, I am willing to wait for couple of months patiently and use internal gpu if I can get something better. Plus I can buy Radeon VII anyday anyway, so nothing to loose

The first revision of RDNA had a lot in common with GCN. RDNA 2 is supposed to free of any legacy GCN stuff. Drivers may take much longer.
 
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
112
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H55-S2H
CPU
i3-530
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The first revision of RDNA had a lot in common with GCN. RDNA 2 is supposed to free of any legacy GCN stuff. Drivers may take much longer.

Well if I see I will have to wait too long or no other option, then will get Radeon VII. But I will wait till it is out and I need to see if it is worth to wait a bit longer :p

Plus there is pro version of Vega that supports on Mac pro and it costs around 1800. So i will have option to see which one I should go for. And also till then I will get the chance to play with i9 10th gen build as well :D
 
Last edited:
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
112
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H55-S2H
CPU
i3-530
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey @pastrychef, iMac will supposedly come with i9 10th gen and also GPU with RDNA architecture; but as iMac will not use spinning hard drive anymore, it is going to come with T2 chip in it. We will get the final confirmation in less than 2 weeks but my primary concern is: will the inclusion of T2 chip will affect the performance of i9 10th gen Hackintosh?
 

pastrychef

Moderator
Joined
May 29, 2013
Messages
18,253
Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
will the inclusion of T2 chip will affect the performance of i9 10th gen Hackintosh?

You mean exclusion?

Yes. Please see the following:

We don't even know if Apple will still be using Intel CPUs, much less 10th gen... I imagine trying to power and cool an i9-10900K in an iMac enclosure will be challenging...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top