Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello guys.

Just of all, this will be my first build ever and I'm not great with this stuff. So far my build (Idea) consist of:

Motherboard: MSI X99A Game 7 - I like the Idea to be able to upgrade to 128gb at some point OR MSI Z170A LGA this one I like the fact that I'd have USB type C which is the new standard. Not sure which to get.

For what I have been able to find out the Z1270A has been testes with MacOS but not the X99A which again makes me second guess which to get. I am not sure if to sacrifice on memory upgradability or on USB capabilities. Also the X99A is about 70$ more. I'd love to know which one you guys recommend.

Processor: This is where I get even more confused. I want to mainly be able to do a lot of video editing and gaming. I was thinking of an i5 6000k since I've read I can overclock from 3.5 to 4.2 with no problems to start with and that the extra 140$ is not worth it when it comes to gaming for the i7.

Ram: I will be starting with DDR4 on both systems and with 32GB (for now).

So please, can you help me pick a mother board and a processor that would work best for what I am trying to do?

Thanks

Hello guys.

Just of all, this will be my first build ever and I'm not great with this stuff. So far my build (Idea) consist of:

Motherboard: MSI X99A Game 7 - I like the Idea to be able to upgrade to 128gb at some point OR MSI Z170A LGA this one I like the fact that I'd have USB type C which is the new standard. Not sure which to get.

For what I have been able to find out the Z1270A has been testes with MacOS but not the X99A which again makes me second guess which to get. I am not sure if to sacrifice on memory upgradability or on USB capabilities. Also the X99A is about 70$ more. I'd love to know which one you guys recommend.

Processor: This is where I get even more confused. I want to mainly be able to do a lot of video editing and gaming. I was thinking of an i5 6000k since I've read I can overclock from 3.5 to 4.2 with no problems to start with and that the extra 140$ is not worth it when it comes to gaming for the i7.

Ram: I will be starting with DDR4 on both systems and with 32GB (for now).

So please, can you help me pick a mother board and a processor that would work best for what I am trying to do?

Thanks

you will see a lot of advice for first time hackintosh builders to stick to a motherboard that has a detailed guide created for it by people who are experienced builders and know how to get all the mobo features working in a reasonable time frame so you aren't spending months trying to get things up and running :D

so i'd advise against a board where you can't find a guide on this forum. 128gb ram for video editing and gaming is, for the foreseeable future, going to be a waste of money. so therefore the z170 mobo choices in the guides on this very forum, and the i5-6600k, with a big overclock like you say, are naturally the best and cheap IMHO combo for gamers. the tough choice is not this combo but what gfx card you choose :) r390 and 980 seem to be the best value for latest release games right now until next-gen comes out later this year. or if you have money to burn just buy two 980 ti cards and then upgrade to 1080 ti or whatever comes out in 6 months :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back