Contribute
Register

built first hackintosh, just need help to correct system ID & audio pop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 670 Windforce
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is my first time posting. I just built my first hackintosh (and first computer for that matter), which is basically the CustoMac Pro with a different case and the nh-d14 air cooler. I used Stork's guide to work through the UEFI Bios and MultiBeast, and I have just about everything up and running perfectly. The one issue I'm experiencing is the audio "pop" that occurs when the audio starts after not being used for a few minutes. From my research I'm just about sure that this is because my system ID is set to iMac 12,2, and not MacPro 3,1.

My understanding is that the reason Alpha has the ID as an iMac is to enable AirPlay, which I find convenient and would like to keep if possible. Another option I've come across is to install AntiPop, but it seems like AntiPop can disable sleep, and right now all of that is working just fine.

Can someone give me some advice as to what my system ID should be set for to both get rid of the pop and allow for AirPlay? If that is impossible, is AntiPop a happy medium, or am I pretty much guaranteed to lose sleep and power management functions? I've also come across posts that have suggested that 3,1 will give the computer much better performance than 12,2, and while I haven't run Geekbench yet, I'll make whatever changes necessary to boost performance and not sacrifice the reliability that I've had so far.

Other than the audio pop, this system has been awesome. I run Avid with a Kona 3, fibre card & 4 year old 6TB fibre raid, and it's perfect. The audio pop is really brutal on my speakers, and I'd love to see it fixed.

So what are the pros and cons of iMac 12,2, and MacPro 3,1? What do you think would be best for my system? I'm running 10.8.3, which was all I could get from the App Store.

I followed these instructions: http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...p5-th-gtx-650-ti-mountain-lion-mavericks.html

My hardware is as follows:

GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
i7-3770K
Windforce GTX OC 670
NH-D14
Cosair AX850
AJA Kona 3
Atto Celerity 41es
Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD
WD Caviar Black 2TB
LG BDXL Burner
Fractal Design Define R4 with all Noctua 140mm Fans

Thank you in advance for your help!

I ended up making the switch to MacPro 3,1. The pop became too annoying for me and I needed a solution. I still haven't run any benchmarks on the system - I'll get to it at some point - but I've been so thrilled with the performance increase from my laptop and my 2008 MacPro that I haven't taken the time to run speed tests.

I have lost the ability to Airplay Mirror, but some of the functions of Airplay still work. I can see my AppleTV on the desktop and the only option that is grayed out is mirroring. If you're just looking for iTunes playback I think you'll be okay with the 3,1 system definition. If you need mirroring, so far I've only seen the option in iMac 12,2.

My last idea, which I haven't tried, is running the audio through a simple 2 channel USB mixer like the Focusrite 2i2, Avid MixPre, or Mackie Blackjack. I know these devices override some of OSX's core audio control, and I'd be curious to see if they override audio sleep, which would solve the pop. I have a 2i2 that I keep at work, so I may give this a shot when I have time. The AntiPop software did not work for me.

I've been very happy with the 3,1 definition. Everything works, I've yet to see a kernel panic, and I'm becoming more and more trusting of my new system. I have no idea if 12,2 is any less reliable, but if the only tradeoff is mirroring, I can see myself staying in 3,1 for the long haul.

So how do you change the system definition from 12,2 iMac to 3,1 Mac Pro? I'm having the same issue with the same motherboard and same i7-3770k

I'm getting the same audio pop. Just to be a bit more detailed than my last post... Can I run Multi-Beast again and simply select the Mac Pro 3,1 System Definition?... Or should I manually manipulate the plist file. I'm really loving my Hackintosh, the speaker pop is really getting annoying though, especially when the volume is up. I've listed some of my components below. I've tried to overclock this cpu but when even going up .2 my system wouldn't boot up.

i7-3770k
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
EVGA GTX-680 4GB (can I use CUDA?)
Corsair h60 (probably upgrading to h80i)
32GB Corsair Vengeance
Samsung 250gb SSD
4TB of Internal storage
Corsair 600T White Case
Corsair TX650M

If anyone has any advice as to what I should be doing differently it would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back