Contribute
Register

[BUILDING] The HaswellRise mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks AMAZING, dj_aris!

Can you tell us more about the GA-B85N motherboard compatibility and the WiFi compatibility (based on the mini-PCI-E slot)?

Thanks! But it's not ready yet..

My plan was to use a 3-antenna Atheros AR9380 which is installed right now and already works flawlessly ootb. But this is a full-sized mini-PCIe card and now I have to change my plans... Most probably I'll settle with a Broadcom BCM43224HMS which also works perfectly in my other mod, is a half-sized card and only accepts two antennae.

Now about the B85N there isn't much to say. It just works! In fact I just cloned the drive from another mod, using the H77 chipset and didn't even have to change a single setting.

Hopefully the GTX 750 will soon get driver support on OS X. I guess you could use the reference design with the super small cooler and place it horizontally above the motherboard. You should be able to find a PCI-E extension cord, which should deliver both power and the interconnect.

I'd like to see this too. Single slot, maybe completely passive as well. I hate that buying any motherboard and half decent GPU automatically means losing a slot.

Hopefully the GTX 750 will soon get driver support on OS X. I guess you could use the reference design with the super small cooler and place it horizontally above the motherboard. You should be able to find a PCI-E extension cord, which should deliver both power and the interconnect.

Yes, that's almost what I have in mind! There is only a KFA2 card available right now but I hope there will be more later on. The 55 or 60w (Ti version) TDP of GM107 is craving for low profile PCB designs.

How about modding the card. I'm thinking you could remove the stock heatsink/fan assembly and replace it with a thinner contraption, maybe deviating the heat through heatpipes and then placing the heatsink at the back of the case. Kind of what laptops do. There must be a way...

While this sounds like a good idea, I think it might just be too hard to implement; it's not like you can attach any heatsink / cooler to a standard GPU. I mean all laptops use similar cooling solutions but in practice they are all custom made and not interchangable. The most possible workaround is indeed to place the GPU upside down over the motherboard but this means that the GPU cooler will blow hot air on the motherboard (I figure straight on the chipset heatsink). In the following days, I will make a few thermals tests and decide if a dGPU option is possible after all.

While this sounds like a good idea, I think it might just be too hard to implement; it's not like you can attach any heatsink / cooler to a standard GPU. I mean all laptops use similar cooling solutions but in practice they are all custom made and not interchangable. The most possible workaround is indeed to place the GPU upside down over the motherboard but this means that the GPU cooler will blow hot air on the motherboard (I figure straight on the chipset heatsink). In the following days, I will make a few thermals tests and decide if a dGPU option is possible after all.

How about you place a plate between the Motherboard/CPU cooler and the GPU and then place a fan in the back or front of the case, which pulls or pushes (or both) the air out of these separated chambers. This way you could force the air to actually flow through the whole case. I'm thinking 80mm fans or less could do the trick.

Update: thermals testing

I measured thermals for four configurations:

#1: On the bench, 4765T CPU (35w) + Radeon 6570 dGPU (60w)
IMG_4999.jpg

idle temps: CPU=35, GPU=32, SSD=24
stress test: CPU=61, GPU=69, SSD=32
idle power=35w, load power=95w

#2: inside the case, 4765T CPU (35w)
IMG_5001.JPG

idle temps: CPU=40, SSD=29
stress test: CPU=75, SSD=43
idle power=25w, load power=70w

#3: inside the case, 4765T CPU (35w) + Radeon 6570 dGPU (60w) (horizontal)
IMG_5002.JPG

idle temps: CPU=46, GPU=45, SSD=38
stress test: CPU=60, GPU=85, SSD=43

#4: inside the case, 4765T CPU (35w) + Radeon 6570 dGPU (60w)
(
vertical)
IMG_5003.JPG

idle temps: CPU=40, GPU=37, SSD=28
stress test: CPU=60, GPU=82, SSD=43

Some thoughts...

1) It is very interesting to notice the max temp of the CPU when HD4600 is activated: 75 degrees! When the HD4600 isn't used (#3) the max temp is only 60 degrees despite the fact that the CPU is next to a burning hot GPU and of course the whole case interior is also very hot.

2) The max power draw figures are also very interesting: although 4765T is a 35w part, it seems that this is valid only for the CPU part, otherwise I can't explain why the total draw during the stress test is 70w! When the dGPU is used then we achieve a more easily explainable 35w + 60w = 95w total draw.

3) It is obvious that no part can run at 85 degrees in the long term. So now there are two ways to go: either I completely skip the GPU, or I try to make a custom cooling solution, ventilating the hot air towards a rear exhaust, out of the case, like guru suggested earlier. Now if only I knew how to do that...

4) While in idle the system is almost inaudible (in any configuration), as you may have guessed with these temp figures it is quite loud.

5) There is another workaround, albeit with a major compromise in my initial design plans: I can mount two 60-80mm fans in the front of the case, pushing all hot air to the rear but this means that I forget mounting the PSU inside the case and use the system with an external brick.

Ive just been reading this build again. Did you never conisder getting a mac mini power supply and using that ?

Edit : Scratch that, its only 85W.

Besides that, how could I find out the pinout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back