Contribute
Register

Building new customac for video: Pro or Pro Socket 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build my second Mac Pro style hackintosh for video editing. I do a lot of HD video work as well as photoshop, motion graphics, etc. (both Final Cut and Adobe products, but primarily Adobe whenever I can help it!) I'm not clear on how big of a difference in performance there will be between the two.

My question is this:

How big / what are the differences between the recommended Customac Pro build and the Pro Socket 2011 builds?

Will the Pro be plenty for a professional or should I bite the bullet and go with the Socket 2011?

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build my second Mac Pro style hackintosh for video editing. I do a lot of HD video work as well as photoshop, motion graphics, etc. (both Final Cut and Adobe products, but primarily Adobe whenever I can help it!) I'm not clear on how big of a difference in performance there will be between the two.

My question is this:

How big / what are the differences between the recommended Customac Pro build and the Pro Socket 2011 builds?

Will the Pro be plenty for a professional or should I bite the bullet and go with the Socket 2011?

Thanks in advance!
The newest versions of FCP X and Premiere Pro can both utilize
all the cores on the 6 or more core CPUs by Intel. So if you are working with video and stills
for 8 or more hours per day as a profession, the six or eight core cpus make sense. For those
home users that don't have deadlines to meet and just edit in their free time the CustoMac Pro
is good enough to handle that. The socket 2011 builds are starting to get more support from
OS X with 10.9.2 but are still more complicated to setup and maintain. So if you go with a 2011
build just be aware that you've got to do some research on how to get the rig fully functional.
You can take a look at this thread for more detailed analysis of this topic.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/116438-would-you-buy-hackintosh-vs-new-mac-pro.html

There will be some updates to Unibeast and Multibeast as well as the Buyer's Guide in the next
two weeks so be watching for those.

Wow! Thanks for the reply - some really fantastic information in the thread you linked to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back