Contribute
Register

building my first hackintosh/gamingpc....will these work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my 580 very much, but if u dont already have one I'd wait till the new gpus are supported, no sense investing in the old stuff unless you're impulsive like me lol. But the 580 is damn good and sposed to be better for rendering than the 6xx cards.

subaro0o said:
I love my 580 very much, but if u dont already have one I'd wait till the new gpus are supported, no sense investing in the old stuff unless you're impulsive like me lol. But the 580 is damn good and sposed to be better for rendering than the 6xx cards.

I'm probably not going to be doing much rendering on the computer, and if I do, it'll be very minimal. I plan on mainly using it as a gaming PC with the option of using Mountain Lion as well whenever needed..

edit: damn, I have yet another question. I just realised that (at least for now) I will have to run my internet through wifi. what are some hackintosh compatible ways of receiving a wifi signal on a desktop?

alright, here are my final (?) parts. any suggestions?

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $238.99
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $34.98
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 $119.99
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $51.99
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB $539.99
Power Supply Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V $109.99
Optical Drive Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $79.99
Hard Drive I don't know....any suggestions?
Wireless adapter TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 PCI Express x1 Wireless N Dual Band Adapter
Case http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6811352007

emperorbohe said:
alright, here are my final (?) parts. any suggestions?

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $238.99
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $34.98
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 $119.99
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $51.99
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB $539.99
Power Supply Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V $109.99
Optical Drive Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $79.99
Hard Drive I don't know....any suggestions?
Wireless adapter TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 PCI Express x1 Wireless N Dual Band Adapter
Case http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6811352007

A 1TB WE Cavair Black or a Barracuda would be good if you don't want an SSD. Otherwise, for roughly the same price, you're going to end up with a 64GB SSD (Crucial m4 or Samsung SSD 830) and a 500GB hard drive. With this you'll have to partition the HDD - one for Windows and the other for an OS X data drive (or vice versa). If you want to fit both OSes on the same one, a minimum of 128GB (again, m4 or SSD 830) is required, but with a hard drive that'll put the cost of your storage over the $200 mark.

Sorry for the brevety and the lack of formatting - TonyMacx86 on an iPhone is not exactly the best :)

pwalth21 said:
I would recommend building your own wifi card. It's really simple just follow this guide:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1143

interesting... definitely a money saver hahaha.

my (hopefully last?) question. anyone have any recommendations for a mouse/keyboard? I don't really want to use the official Apple ones, they don't seem very gaming compatible...

will most random mice/keyboard work in OSX?

You could save some money buying a GTX 670. I recently bought a Palit GTX 670 Jetstream. It was 130€ cheaper than a GTX 680 here in Germany. The Palit is OC'ed and as fast as the GTX 680. And it's dead silent and consumes less power.

0702%20Crysis2%20DX11.png

emperorbohe said:

Yeah. I use a 0815 Logitech Keyboard and a SteelSeries Xai. But there aren't drivers for the mouse so you can't configure the extra buttons in OSX - but there is a menu on the mouse (with a tiny screen) - but I'd go with a Logitech for gaming and OSX - good products, good prices.

Regarding SSD - 128GB should be enough, if you can afford 256GB then go for it. Samsung 830 series SSDs are very good. I do have a 256GB for Win7 in my system.

It is not recommended to install both OSs (OS X and Windows) on one SSD ! Just get 2 separate.

If you are just gaming on windows side (like me), then a normal HDD is good enough. You don't have real performance boost in games with a SSD.

emperorbohe said:
pwalth21 said:
I would recommend building your own wifi card. It's really simple just follow this guide:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1143

interesting... definitely a money saver hahaha.

my (hopefully last?) question. anyone have any recommendations for a mouse/keyboard? I don't really want to use the official Apple ones, they don't seem very gaming compatible...

For the keyboard part most anything will work, just try to get one with the command key in the right place. On the topic of mice, however, I would suggest the Logitech G500. Setup whatever macros you want in Windows, right them to the mouse's memory, and those macros will work in OS X. This works because I'm using it right now.

knouroozi said:
For the keyboard part most anything will work, just try to get one with the command key in the right place. On the topic of mice, however, I would suggest the Logitech G500. Setup whatever macros you want in Windows, right them to the mouse's memory, and those macros will work in OS X. This works because I'm using it right now.

That's an interesting fact. I did not know that. I'm going to look more into that mouse. Is there any way to set up those macros without booting windows?

It would seem you know a lot more than nothing :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back