Contribute
Register

Building my first ever Hackintosh! Do these parts work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello, this is my first ever Hackintosh build. I will be using this system to mainly edit video with programs like after effects and premier pro, photos with Photoshop, and up to date gaming such as Call of Duty and GTA 4. Will this system work for this? Do these parts work together? I want to be able to run Mac OS X Lion too. And finally, is there any recommendations that you can make? I want to be able to upgrade this in the future too. Thanks, Ryan

Motherboard: Gigabyte
GA-Z68XP-UD3

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop

VideoCard: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB DDR5 PCI-Express Card HD587AZNF9

Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with Intel and AMD Platforms - CMPSU-650HX

Hard Drive: Samsung 1tb model hd103sj

Ram: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit

Optical Drive: Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black

Sector4vids said:
Hello, this is my first ever Hackintosh build. I will be using this system to mainly edit video with programs like after effects and premier pro, photos with Photoshop, and up to date gaming such as Call of Duty and GTA 4. Will this system work for this? Do these parts work together? I want to be able to run Mac OS X Lion too. And finally, is there any recommendations that you can make? I want to be able to upgrade this in the future too. Thanks, Ryan

Motherboard: Gigabyte
GA-Z68XP-UD3

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop

VideoCard: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB DDR5 PCI-Express Card HD587AZNF9

Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with Intel and AMD Platforms - CMPSU-650HX

Hard Drive: Samsung 1tb model hd103sj

Ram: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit

Optical Drive: Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black

I suggest replacing the video card with a 6850 or 6870 as they are supported by Mac OSX Lion. Not so sure about the 5870.

hd 5870 way better than hd 6870 and yes supported oob :thumbup:

alright thanks, any recommendations to make this build better?

Sector4vids said:
alright thanks, any recommendations to make this build better?

add 120gb ssd ocz agility 3 and W.D black instead of samsung 1tb :thumbup:

hacman said:
hd 5870 way better than hd 6870 and yes supported oob :thumbup:

I'm sorry to start a debate about GPUs but how is the 5870 better? It underperforms compared to 6870/50 and costs nearly twice as much?

The 6870 works out of the box. This can be confirmed from MANY users on the forum and in tonymacx86's customac builds.

Sector4vids Get an hd 6870. It's the superior of the two cards, that statement is not debatable.

Judging from your choice of motherboard and CPU, you're going to play some games. If you're going to be running windows on a partition, consider buying a second 6870 and crossfire them while in Windows. Mac OS doesn't recognize crossfire/SLI, but it isn't hurt by it either, it will just run on one card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back