Contribute
Register

Building low-end mac with 16GB+ memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need mac to compile some software in background.
CPU is not critical in my case but I need a lot of RAM.

I am debating what motherboard to buy. I checked buyers guide and there are a lot of motherboards and they all have "170" in the name.

I am debating to buy "ASRock H170M PRO4S". I selected it because it is cheaper then others. It is in a list. I found it in local store. Is there anything else to consider when selecting a motherboard?

What is nature of Buyer Guide list? just all 170 series motherboards or someone has tested them?

I need mac to compile some software in background.
CPU is not critical in my case but I need a lot of RAM.

I am debating what motherboard to buy. I checked buyers guide and there are a lot of motherboards and they all have "170" in the name.

I am debating to buy "ASRock H170M PRO4S". I selected it because it is cheaper then others. It is in a list. I found it in local store. Is there anything else to consider when selecting a motherboard?

What is nature of Buyer Guide list? just all 170 series motherboards or someone has tested them?

The "170" denotes the Intel chipset the motherboard is based on (either Z170 or H170 here; see https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-B170-Q150-Q170---What-is-the-Difference-635/ for an explanation of the differences). All motherboards listed in the Buyer's Guide on this site should work with macOS; they have either been tested or are believed to be compatible based on their components, similarity to other tested boards, and on past experience with the brand and similar models.

It would be a good idea to search the User Builds section for successful builds other users have done based on the components you select; this will give you guides and info on what to expect when you start your build. Good luck and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back