Contribute
Register

Building Kaby Lake Editing Machine. Parts List Included

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a fully-decked out Macbook Pro w/touch bar. It was the 15" 2.9GHZ with the 460 graphic card. It was supposed to be a beast of a machine....and it was, when it worked. But, I returned it due to a faulty GPU. When it did work, it handled 4K prores footage like a champ, and did 4K RAW footage at about 2-4FPS.

Now that I've returned it, and with the release of the Kaby Lake being made nativly for 4K footage...I have decided to build a PC. I used to build PC's many years ago (over ten years) but then I found Mac and stopped building windows PC.

At this point, I do not much care if my system has to remain in Windows, as all I will use it for is DaVinci Resolve and Adobe Premiere. I need it to be able to handle RAW 4K files in real-time, and so I've assembled the following list of components that I will be getting.

I have not purchased these yet, but they are in my cart. Any feedback is welcome:

Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz
Cooling: CORSAIR Hydro Series H60
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-UD5
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 64GB
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition
Boot HDD: Intel 750 Series 2.5" U.2 (M.2 adaptor) 400GB
Data RAID: x4 Seagate ST4000NM0025 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache 512n SAS 3.5"
RAID Card: Areca ARC-1226-8i-MS
Optical Drive: LG BU20N Internal Blu-ray Writer
Power: ENERMAX Platimax EPM750AWT 750W ATX12V
Case: COOLER MASTER RC-902XB-KKN2 HAF XB EVO
Wifi/Bluetooth: PC/HACKINTOSH - APPLE BROADCOM BCM94360CD

Running Total, not including Windows 10 or the Wifi card: $3488.80

I'll be installing Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, for now...

I would love any thoughts or feedback you guys have. Thank you!

-S

You'll be very happy with the vastly improved horsepower (CPU and Graphics) of this compared to the late 2016 MBP. The extra 48 GB of Dram won't hurt either !

Now if we can just get Kaby Lake support in the next iMacs. Then Nvidia drivers for your 1070 you'd have the best you could do for a Windows and macOS dual boot machine.

You'll be very happy with the vastly improved horsepower (CPU and Graphics) of this compared to the late 2016 MBP. The extra 48 GB of Dram won't hurt either !

Now if we can just get Kaby Lake support in the next iMacs. Then Nvidia drivers for your 1070 you'd have the best you could do for a Windows and macOS dual boot machine.

Curious to know what you think about the 1080 Founders Edition instead of the 1070? I'm told this CPU won't be able to utilize all of the 1080's power, more like only 70% or so? Even yet, I wonder if it is worth it...the extra $350 is pretty steep, though.

The 1070 is so much more powerful than the RX460 you used for a short time and liked, that I would just save the $350 and spend it elsewhere for other parts of the build. You can always upgrade to a 1080 later on if need be. See how the 1070 does first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back