Radeon 5700 8GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello Tony's people,

Sorry for the managers and administrators, I didn't read the Rules before I post the thread.

I appreciate your time of viewing this thread, I saw lots of recommendation of making a new Hackintosh using motherboards series 300, did someone from here made a series 400 motherboards build using the motherboards below:

Gigabyte Z490 UD
Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D

and which one of those motherboards are the best of all, or do you recommend a better Gigabyte series 400 motherboards better than the one above? and what about processors did someone tested the new [ Intell i9 10th Gen ], RAM, VGA, Fan liquid cooling, power supply, NVme storage..

I am going to use this Hackintosh for video editing, so I would like you to recommend the best mid range hardware with under 2200 $ Dollars, thank you for your time and help.

I will be waiting for your reply.

@dehjomz Thank you I appreciate your help.

I built Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X a month ago. It is a great motherboard for the price (I paid $159USD) and very easy to hackintosh using OpenCore using Dortania's guide. It dose not include Thunderbold, Wifi & Bluetooth. if you need them, you will have to add them so consider the cost. The good thing, is you can add OS X compatible parts rather than try to hack or find a solution for what other boards include (you have to do some research).

I am not familiar with the UD specs, there is also the Vision G.

Last edited:
I built Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X a month ago. It is a great motherboard for the price (I paid $159USD) and very easy to hackintosh using OpenCore using Dortania's guide. It dose not include Thunderbold, Wifi & Bluetooth. if you need them, you will have to add them so consider the cost. The good thing, is you can add OS X compatible parts rather than try to hack or find a solution for what other boards include (you have to do some research).

I am not familiar with the UD specs, there is also the Vision G.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you use the iGPU or an external video card? I am trying to find a relatively easy Z490 motherboard to install Catalina using the iGPU.

I used the Sapphire RX580 (about $200USD). It is a card recommended by Apple, so no issues as it is supported by Catalina and BigSur. I don't know of anyone having IGPU working on the Gaming X board.

Hi @curro... I'm about to attempt a Z490 Hackintosh build too. This will be my first one. Its also going to be a dual boot Windows Gaming Machine as well as Hackintosh. I may fail terribly but I figure if I'm spending a bunch of money on a top end Windows build I'll try to pick my parts with an eye towards a Hackintosh build too. So maybe we will go down this road simultaneously. I'm running an i9 10900K on an Asus Maxiumus XII Formula mobo. I started a thread about a Z490 build and got some good recommendations on parts so you may find it helpful too.

@melchionda , Sounds good. Right now based on my research a number Gigabyte Z490 motherboards are giving good results via OpenCore:

1) CaseySJ's Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
2) Gigabyte Z490 Vision G (link)
3) Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X (via another website)

It looks like OpenCore is the new way to go. I am not familiar with it but I can learn of course :)

CaseySJ has instructions on how to use the iGPU in the Z490 Vision D motherboard so perhaps the same will work on the Z490 Gaming X. I can always try. If it does not work I will buy Sapphire RX580 the video card.

Here is what CaseySJ says about dual booting with Windows 10:

I just installed Windows 10 yesterday, so here are some suggestions:
  • Format the Windows NVMe SSD (not the USB install disk) on a Mac (yes, a Mac) using Disk Utility:
    • Name: Windows
    • Format: FAT32
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • It's important to set the Scheme to GUID Partition Map. This creates an EFI partition on the Windows NVMe (or SATA) SSD.
  • Download Microsoft's Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 (this must be done on a Windows machine) and then use that tool to create the USB install disk.
  • Now physically disconnect all macOS drives from the system. If you fail to do this, the Windows installer will abort.
  • When the Windows installer starts and you reach the screen to Format the destination disk, select the large FAT32 partition on the Windows NVMe SSD (not the smaller EFI partition).
    • Then delete that FAT32 partition.
    • Now it will change to "Unallocated space".
    • Highlight that row.
    • And click Install. Windows will be installed into the "Unallocated space".
  • When Windows is fully installed, you may shut down the system and reinstall the macOS SSDs.
    • At the OpenCore Picker menu you should now see an option to boot Windows.

I will look up your Z490 thread. I look forward to a more straight forward installation using OpenCore vs using Clover. I hope you have a successful journey.

@curro This is great info.

The problem I have is that I only have Mac Laptops and I have one Mac Mini so how can I plug my NVMe into one of those? Can you get an adapter and then plug that into a USB?

Also, I am wondering how this might change if I just install windows first and then try to install the Mac OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back