Contribute
Register

Building hackintosh that works with Apollo 8p Thunderbolt 2 Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

First of all I would like to say that this site is amazing!! Found so much info thats so nice and neat.

So, I´m going to build my first hackintosh thats going to be in my music studio. I just bought the new Apollo 8p Thunderbolt 2 and it works great on my macbook pro mid2012.

I read on different posts on earlier version of the Apollo (like the twin and quad silver) and they manage to get the thunderbolt to work. But I´m now abit afraid that my new Apollo 8p will be to new for an hackintosh. Does anyone have any inputs or knows anything about this if it works or not? I want to run this machine with the mavericks system as pro tools 10 still support this.

I also looked at the buyers guide and I really don´t know what to buy. I just know I need a really powerful machine with at least 32g RAM with alot of process power. I don´t need any fancy graphic card as I just going to make music, mixing and master etc.

Appreciate anyones inputs whatever you write.

(Sorry for the bad english)

Cheers!!

Just saw your post now. Hopefully this isn't too late to be relevant. But, I am currently using my hack as an audio workstation, with an Apollo 8P via thunderbolt with full functionality. My recommendation however, would be to get one of the new thunderbolt 3 cards, and build around it. Thunderbolt 3 will have native functionality in windows, and that will make usage of TB much easier on the OSX side. Though my system is working, the TB was definitely the biggest challenge and often when you make changes in the physical case you may have to reinstall it.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer!! Was it hard to install it? What items did you use to build your hackintosh? and was it worth it?

Thanks!

Just saw your post now. Hopefully this isn't too late to be relevant. But, I am currently using my hack as an audio workstation, with an Apollo 8P via thunderbolt with full functionality. My recommendation however, would be to get one of the new thunderbolt 3 cards, and build around it. Thunderbolt 3 will have native functionality in windows, and that will make usage of TB much easier on the OSX side. Though my system is working, the TB was definitely the biggest challenge and often when you make changes in the physical case you may have to reinstall it.
Can I ask what your TB reinstallation procedure was? ref: (make changes in the physical case you may have to reinstall it)
thanks

Last edited:
So sorry to respond so late. Been rather disposed with work and such lately.

Whenever I made some changes in the case, through trial and error, I found that completely removing the card and deleting the drivers in Windows was the first step. Afterwards, I just reinstalled everything on the windows side, then inserted the TB card again. Also, an important step for me to get my TB working was to use a Lacie Thunderbolt HD because they designed specific TB drivers for windows pre thunderbolt 3, so once I reinstalled everything I had to plug in the drive. Once the drive showed up in the TB chain for windows, I was then able to use my devices in OSX. Now that windows is endorsing TB 3 I have heard of many previous TB devices that are releasing (if they haven't already) drivers for Windows, so you there should be more devices you can use.

For whatever reason, leaving the card in while making changes caused some finicky responses to the thunderbolt connectivity in OSX.

On another note, I also found that Asus rather recently included new Thunderbolt drivers for the unit I use (Thunderbolt EX II) as well as a firmware update. I installed both, and noticed that OSX no longer displayed the thunderbolt controller in the device list. However, the functionality in OSX is not lost, which I found interesting.

Please don't hesitate to ask if there are any other questions.

So sorry to respond so late. Been rather disposed with work and such lately.

Whenever I made some changes in the case, through trial and error, I found that completely removing the card and deleting the drivers in Windows was the first step. Afterwards, I just reinstalled everything on the windows side, then inserted the TB card again. Also, an important step for me to get my TB working was to use a Lacie Thunderbolt HD because they designed specific TB drivers for windows pre thunderbolt 3, so once I reinstalled everything I had to plug in the drive. Once the drive showed up in the TB chain for windows, I was then able to use my devices in OSX. Now that windows is endorsing TB 3 I have heard of many previous TB devices that are releasing (if they haven't already) drivers for Windows, so you there should be more devices you can use.

For whatever reason, leaving the card in while making changes caused some finicky responses to the thunderbolt connectivity in OSX.

On another note, I also found that Asus rather recently included new Thunderbolt drivers for the unit I use (Thunderbolt EX II) as well as a firmware update. I installed both, and noticed that OSX no longer displayed the thunderbolt controller in the device list. However, the functionality in OSX is not lost, which I found interesting.

Please don't hesitate to ask if there are any other questions.

Hi, i have the asus thunderbolt EX II Dual with an asus z97 pro wifi ac on el capitan. Please could you give the links to download the driver for w7 the exact procedure to log the firmware and to install the driver on el capitan please.

Hi, i have the asus thunderbolt EX II Dual with an asus z97 pro wifi ac on el capitan. Please could you give the links to download the driver for w7 the exact procedure to log the firmware and to install the driver on el capitan please.
I need to use a satellite quad TB 2

I know it's old thread but I just build one that works with apollo 8p. i'll post detail if anybody is interested in.

let me know

I know it's old thread but I just build one that works with apollo 8p. i'll post detail if anybody is interested in.

let me know
Hello shimoyjk !
I am really interested by details of your setup !!
I am running a MBP 15retina and I decide to build a Hackintosh, I have a Apollo mk2 TB..
Still looking for a MB and other component !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back