Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello, I am new to this and was wondering if i could have some help.

I am going to be doing a lot of video editing over the next year, in HD and 4K. I was going to buy a maxed out iMac but decided that a hackentosh suits me better as it is upgradable.

I like the looks of the BitFenix Prodigy case I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which kit list would fit this case and be good for editing 4K.

Thank you for the help!

[TR="bgcolor: #eeeeee"] [TR="bgcolor: #f9f9f9"] [TR="bgcolor: #f9f9f9"] [TR="bgcolor: #f9f9f9"] [TR="bgcolor: #f9f9f9"] [TR="bgcolor: #f9f9f9"]
Hardware Component Price
1 CPU Intel i7 Quad 4.4 GHz $336
2 CPU Cooler Enermax Twister $46
3 Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit $330
4 Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 $206
5 Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SATA III $200
6 Graphics Geforce GTX 760 w/2GB $205
7 Power Supply Corsair HX850i (850 Watt) $190
8 Monitor ASUS PB287Q 28” $580
9 Case NZXT Technologies H440 Mid Tower $120
Grand Total: $2215

Soure: http://www.4kshooters.net/2015/02/02/is-a-hackintosh-good-enough-for-real-time-4k-editing/

I saw this build. I am also looking to build a hackintosh. My question is the Geforce GTX 760 w/2GB I cant find anymore is there something similar. Thanks.

If you're using FCPX for video editing, maybe read those messages about which cards work well (only specific AMD) and which don't (all nVidia). If using Adobe, your criteria is probably very different than with FCPX.

Just to confirm, if you are using FCP X for anything serious, forget the nVidia cards. No matter how much you pay, they are still slow for FCP X. The 280X cards are very good with FCP X and easy to install.

Also why get a UD7H MB? Unless you need Thunderbolt as opposed to want it, you're paying a load more money for nothing. You will also need a Windows install to get the Thunderbolt it work properly.

You will need a lot more disk for HD and 4K editing. I pulled together a 2min video skiing a few weeks ago using a GoPro and I had 70GB of media to use. No idea what 4K uses but suspect its a lot more than a GoPro.

Your case is a bit small, if you are serious about editing you may end up with dual GPU's. This means a bigger case, with bigger fans. Buy the right sized case now and have done with it.

Also serious video editing requires a multi-monitor setup, I use three 22" monitors. I would have bigger but I physically cannot fit them in the area I have. Two monitors is better than nothing though, so budget for a second monitor.

Rob

Just to confirm, if you are using FCP X for anything serious, forget the nVidia cards. No matter how much you pay, they are still slow for FCP X. The 280X cards are very good with FCP X and easy to install.

I am using all Adobe products. I don't know about OP. rwillett It sounds like you know a lot..... I stole my build idea from nofilmschool.com .....rwillett what is your build?

You also might consider a 34'' 21:9 monitor. I got the LG 34UM95-P and it's really great for video editing.

I am using all Adobe products. I don't know about OP. rwillett It sounds like you know a lot..... I stole my build idea from nofilmschool.com .....rwillett what is your build?

If you are only using Adobe products then I can't help you as I only use FCP X. I have not used Premiere for at least ten years and so my knowledge is out of date.

I understand that the nVidia cards work very well but that at the moment you have to use beta nVidia web drivers so that every time Apple changes the OS through a minor update, that invalidates the nVidia cards. Its a not a big deal but it's a PITA.

If other people who know Premiere say use this nVidia card, go with what they say, but validate first. My other points on disk size are just as relevant for Premiere as FCP X.

A very large monitor also helps, especially with 4K as otherwise you will not get the proper display.

Whilst you can do video editing on the cheap, the more you spend the easier it gets. Skills notwithstanding.

Rob

rwillett - I've read with great interest your posts regarding your dual 280x. I was thinking of doing the same setup as my main interest is in a video editing rig for FCPX. Could I ask what size PSU you're running with the dual 280x's. From what I've seen, each 280x seems like it could pull more than 450 watts at full load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back