Gigabyte gtx 980 g1 gaming
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
hey guys,

this is my first post on this forum and i am quite new to mackintosh world...
i am just about to buy this build for a first hack, i know its not the easiest one but i've seen here and there few stable hacks.
I ll be using this build for music production and a bit of 3d rendering. and i am trying to reduce any db i can
here is the list of components i am going to buy:

MOBO : ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 (or usb 3.0 as an older version)

CPU :
intel 5820k (will be overclocked)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked OR EVGA GeForce GTX 980 K/NGP/N ACX 2.0+ (any recommendation ?)

RAM: CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport - 64 go DDR4 2400MHZ

CPU COOLER: BE QUIET Dark Rock PRO 3

PSU: BE QUIET Straight Power 10 800W CM

CASE: BE QUIET SILENT BASE 800

WIFI: TP-LINK Archer T8E PCI EXPRESS AC1750

HD: Samsung EVO 850 500Go (+2 Barracuda and 1 SSD from my actual Mac Pro)

i already have an ATI Radeon HD 5770 from my oldMac Pro for installation

Audio trough my RME Fireface UC

hope that bluetooth will work straight out of the MOBO

What about Ethernet ?

I am now very exited about it !! and please,
If you have any recommendation or advise to share with me, please let me know

Thib

ethernet NIC will work OoB. It is BT you have to have a USB dongle or PCIe card for. See the accessories section of the Buyer's Guide for recommended BT dongles.

Don't do it.

Now...let me explain. Here are the two systems I have running in my office:

System 1: Haswell-E / Core i7 5930K (six cores, 12 threads) / ASUS X99 Deluxe
System 2: Haswell / Core i7 4770K (four cores, 8 threads) / ASUS Maximus Hero VI

The four core system (Haswell) is a better Mac in my experience - it has the most working features and is the most stable. It worked with the default OS X installation media created by Unibeast, and the network and audio drivers in MultiBeast also worked. In short, I am finding the four-core Haswell system much easier to maintain..

I have tried several times to get the X99 system running El Capitan. First I had to seriously modify the Unibeast created installation media to boot the installer. Then I had several non-functional USB ports. Then the processor would not hit it's full turbo state resulting in lackluster performance. Just when Clover Configurator added the FakeCPUID setting to correct the turbo problem, along came 10.11.3 and I could't get the Audio working. For some reason...I just can't seem to flip that last tumbler.

I don't think everyone with an X99 system has had my experience - there appear to many working examples in the forums. But there are also WAY MORE working examples using mainstream processors (Haswell, Ivy Bridge, Sandy Bridge). Skylake appears to be coming along nicely, that too may prove to be an easier system to maintain in the long run. I am thinking about heading in that direction myself.

If you really need Haswell-E, with it's six cores and twelve threads, then you'll need to put on a brave face and give it the old college try. But you might just waste more time futzing with your system than the time you'll save with a more beefy processor. Just something to consider...

allright man, thanks for your feedback (even if it doesn't sounds good :|)
the thing is i need at least 6 cores (i even think about 5960X 8 cores but i know theres more limitation to it when it comes to hackintosh)

i am actually working on a 8 core xeon from 2008 and i am using 100% of my cpu...

a 4790 can do the job for me but i am hitting 12500 multi-core score geekbench with my old macpro when a 4790 hit around 16000... no big improvement here. i use to change my workstation every 5-6 years so i would better buy something strong now.

i won't install El Capitan now since its not recommended for music production (due to plug-ins non-compatibility) so what about X99 stability on Yosemite or even mavericks ? and what about cpu turbo boost on yosemite ?

ethernet NIC will work OoB. It is BT you have to have a USB dongle or PCIe card for. See the accessories section of the Buyer's Guide for recommended BT dongles.

You might also try http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P0QAU36/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 for a native Mac card that has all the same capability as what you get with a "real" Mac.

I would not give up on the X99 idea yet. I have an Asrock X99M Killer build that works fine with Mavericks and Yosemite. The fact that I can't get Clover/El Capitan booting reliably yet would not matter to you if you are not going to be using El Capitan anyway.

You might also try http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P0QAU36/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 for a native Mac card that has all the same capability as what you get with a "real" Mac.
Oh Sweet, thanks a lot

I would not give up on the X99 idea yet. I have an Asrock X99M Killer build that works fine with Mavericks and Yosemite. The fact that I can't get Clover/El Capitan booting reliably yet would not matter to you if you are not going to be using El Capitan anyway.

cool to know its only an 'El Cap' problem.
I am not giving up

Thib

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back