Contribute
Register

Building a Video editing rig - 10th Gen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also go with a better quality and higher wattage PSU because I plan on it lasting at least 7-8 years. Graphics cards get much more frequent upgrades and the higher end ones usually end up demanding more power. Look at the latest AMD and Nvidia cards just out and you can see that this is true.

Here's the wattage recommendation for a new RTX 3080

View attachment 497684

For the RX 5700 XT it is 600W

View attachment 497685

Yeah, efficiency seems to be an afterthought for GPUs nowadays. Just look at how many cards are triple slot now due to the need for gigantic heatsinks...

I see that you jumped in here on this thread started by @frubsen are you going to build a Z490 system as well ? If not you may want to start a Buying Advice thread for your build.
No I was giving my advice on the PSU question from the OP.
I have some experience as I will soon start my 4th Hackintosh build, this time with a B460i and 450W PSU in a Cooler Master NR200P case. I have already a different subject for that. I'm going for a cost and power efficient system to replace a 2009 iMac. I'm just waiting for Black Friday sales to pull the trigger on my shopping cart and see if a can get some cheaper prices.

Regarding GPU consumption increase over the years, on my profile build, I went from GTX 660 Ti in 2013 to GTX 760 (when the 660 died) and then followed in 2018 by a GTX 1060 to play games in VR on Oculus and then GTX 1080 in 2020, all are fitting well a 500W PSU. I have 3 displays plugged on my computer (One 28" 4K, and 2 Full HD).

Myself I have no interest in overclocking, obviously if you go that route, or if you plan to go with a beast similar to a RTX 3080 in the future (which is one of the highest in term of power consumption), better to have a PSU and cooling that can follow.

Regarding the power @ wall consumption for a RX 5600 XT with a Core i9 K, under 100% CPU and GPU load, it is 305W according to this test (in French sorry, it is the closest I could find to the OP build), so 60% of a 500 W PSU.

Hey all

So I finally purchased all the parts(minus the video card) and have the the machine together. Now my question is, which OS do I go with? It seems from what I've read, both Catalina and Big Sur seem to work fine with 10th gen chips. Like I said in my first post, the system will mainly be used for editing with Premiere, Final Cut and possibly Davinci Resolve. I'm also going to dual boot Windows 10 (I have 2 NVME drives).

Any recommendations?

Hey all

So I finally purchased all the parts(minus the video card) and have the the machine together. Now my question is, which OS do I go with? It seems from what I've read, both Catalina and Big Sur seem to work fine with 10th gen chips. Like I said in my first post, the system will mainly be used for editing with Premiere, Final Cut and possibly Davinci Resolve. I'm also going to dual boot Windows 10 (I have 2 NVME drives).

Any recommendations
Start with Catalina and upgrade later. Software like Premiere and Davinci Resolve may not work as well with Big Sur. FCP X is already up to date for Big Sur because Apple makes it. The upgrade to Big Sur should be easy so go with Catalina first.

Hey all

So I've been sitting on a built hackintosh with no video card right now due to the shortages. My plan was for either an RX580 or RX5500 but seeing as they are impossible to find at reasonable prices, does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do? Bearing in mind this is going to be primarily used for video editing.

Or am I hooped and just need to wait for cards to go back in stock?

Hey all

So I've been sitting on a built hackintosh with no video card right now due to the shortages. My plan was for either an RX580 or RX5500 but seeing as they are impossible to find at reasonable prices, does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do? Bearing in mind this is going to be primarily used for video editing.

Or am I hooped and just need to wait for cards to go back in stock?

A lot of people are in similar situations... There's just no way to get video cards at anything close to reasonable prices right now.

When thing will return to normal is anyone's guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back