Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I haven't built my hackintosh yet, so before I've done that I won't be building a server rig, however I'd still like to get into the design process.

So, yes, I'd like to build a server. Preferably affordable. Intentions would be to allow remote access to my data, file sharing with friends, IRC, maybe a game server, Apache, other such stuff. Cloud computing.

Now I'm not sure if I want to run snow leopard, a linux distro, or windows server on this, but I guess I'd like to build it to be compatible with all three. The main focus would most likely be hosting a website, so perhaps linux would be most appropriate?

Now I'm not too familiar with servers and what their specs should be like, but this is what I had in mind:

Xeon cpu (underclocked)
4x 2GB RAM (DDR2?)
2-8TB HDD 7200rpm
A simple, cheap gpu
micro-atx mobo
Small, well ventilated case
not a very powerful psu?

As I've understood, for a server, memory is what counts. Enough TB's to store whatever might be needed (and then double that for backups), and enough RAM to sustain multiple simultaneous connections. I don't know if RAM needs to be fast, or if there just needs to be lots of it, so please, do tell. Since the thing doesn't even have a monitor, a gpu is hardly necessary (except maybe for remote applications), so the price in that area can hopefully be pretty low. Underclocked cpu to keep it silent (I intend to sleep in the same room), and small case/mobo just because... well... smaller is nicer ad more space efficient. I have no clue how much power I would need, advice much needed.

Have I got the right idea? If anyone could recommend specific components, that would be great.

My setup is pretty darn quiet. My case, power supply, and CPU cooler have 120mm fans that turn slow when the CPU is not maxed out (even then it is still quiet, but not near silent).

My GPU (ASUS silent 8400GS) is silent and was under $30.

No experience with Xeons, but the Xeon 3500 series is basically an i7-9xx, so think about building an i7 system.

Xeons will require a 1356 socket which is not available in mATX in the favored around here Gigabyte brand. ASUS makes one, and I think I have seen it used - do search on that model.

If you go with a 1366 board, memory goes in 3s, so plan on 6GB or 12GB.

Hi,

I run an NFS, anonymous FTP and Web server under OS/X. Here is a link to a description of what I did to set it up: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3427. It shows what I did to allow these services to be accessible using the IPFW (firewall) that is included with OS/X.

Apache is Open Source. You get it with either Os X or your favorite LINUX distro. Building a server with LINUX has the advantage that you have more freedom on the hardware to choose from.

Tahna,

Here are the specs of my Linux NAS & MythTV-Backend box...

GA-H55M-S2H + i3-530 + Scythe BigShuriken
Corsair VX450W PSU
2GB Patriot RAM
3 x Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150
CoolerMaster Elite341

If I wouldn't need MythTV-Backend, I'd be probably running FreeNAS...
Though I run Debian on it (Needs 2.6.31 for the IGP)... and eagerly waiting for http://blog.openmediavault.org/

The build itself is relatively silent, but the case and HDD mount cage is too flimsy, so it amplifies the HDDs vibration, making them noisier...
I picked this case for size limitations (want to use it as an HTPC so it should fit the media cabinet next to my TV in the living room)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back