Building a Sandy Bridge CustoMac: Recommended Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martytoof said:
eelhead said:
Mate94 said:
Tony, why you suggest HD6670, if thats not working? :crazy:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28464&p=181268#p181268

That aside, this card is still not fully functional. It looks like at least two of us are experiencing our 6670 not being able to put the monitor to DPMS sleep.

I would strongly advise against the 6670 unless you know you'll be turning your monitor off by hand every time you step away from the computer, or just don't care if your monitor never goes to sleep.

As such, I would probably recommend that this build be updated with a card that is know to be 100% working so people don't get something they weren't bargaining for. I bought my 6670 based on this build recommendation and came away disappointed.

The 6670 should be working now, http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/08/ ... -3000.html
or he 6670 can work if using the Bulrushes FB, and passing AtiPorts=3 to command line (or in boot.plist)
The original card info was wrong as to why it wasn't working I do believe.

Would any of the CustoMac's be a viable machine for running World of Warcraft On? I have been a PC person for far to long, and like the look and feel of the Apple products. I am looking to switch, but only if I can find one that will run Wow good.

Also I should note, I have been a AMD fan, so the new I series of processors are new to me.

Any advice, would be greatly appreciated.

eelhead said:
The 6670 should be working now, http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/08/ ... -3000.html
or he 6670 can work if using the Bulrushes FB, and passing AtiPorts=3 to command line (or in boot.plist)

The card itself works (and has worked for a while with workarounds), but DPMS video sleep is still non-functional, at least in my experience. Arguably it might not be a big deal if someone is okay with shutting off their monitor every time they leave their desk, but I guess I'd like people looking for a budget card to be aware of the caveats :)

Martytoof said:
eelhead said:

The card itself works (and has worked for a while with workarounds), but DPMS video sleep is still non-functional, at least in my experience. Arguably it might not be a big deal if someone is okay with shutting off their monitor every time they leave their desk, but I guess I'd like people looking for a budget card to be aware of the caveats :)
That's what I mean though, card info should have been added and now work OOB like a 6870 with no issues.

eelhead said:
That's what I mean though, card info should have been added and now work OOB like a 6870 with no issues.

Ah. Well, I'll reinstall Chimera tomorrow, but unless I did something incorrectly then I can verify that my 6670 still isn't doing DPMS sleep correctly.

edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to derail a thread not intended for troubleshooting in the first place :p

How about this configuration like this :
Code:
Motherboard can support LGA 1155 Core i3
VGA onboard Intel HD Graphics 3000
Lion can installed on it?

junkies04 said:
How about this configuration like this :
Code:
Motherboard can support LGA 1155 Core i3
VGA onboard Intel HD Graphics 3000
Lion can installed on it?
Yes it should as there is HD3000 support.

I´m terrible sorry, if I´m posting in the wrong section/topic etc.

I´ve never tried installing anything mac/apple related on my desktop befor, so I´m a bit unsure of where to start, I´ve searched the forum and found topics that has to do with my hardware setup. But I´m still not 100% sure of what to do.

First here is my hardware setup.

Cpu - Intel Core i5 2500K Sandy (OC to 4.5 ghz)
Motherboard - ASUSSABERTOOTH P67 Sandy Bridge B3 (bios 1805)
Graphics Card - 2 x XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB (In crossfire)
Memory - Corsair8GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x 4GB) CL9 ( 9-9-9-24 )
Hard Drive - Crucials RealSSD C300 64 GB - And - Western Digital1000 GB
Optical Drive - Samsung SH-B083L DVD±RW Black

would it be possible to install - Lion - on it, and which guide should I follow ?

i have a question i have tried installing a system with GA Z68XP-UD5-B3 and after the installation the screen will just go black and not continue please need your help tony this is for a very important company i am doing i have already done all the possible alternatives the i know. and have read in the forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back