Contribute
Register

Building a powerful video editing workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the RAM that Crucial recommend. You can copy the long part number and do a google search, to see if you can get a better price, but always double and then triple check that the part numbers are identical as quite often you will be given "alternatives" that may not be as good for your motherboard.

Thanks Adrian B, great information!

Found this kit "VENGEANCE LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666 MHz C16" with the SKU number CMK64GX4M4A2666C16 (https://www.corsair.com/de/de/Kateg...cher/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK64GX4M4A2666C16). Gigabyte has it in its list with two different versions (ver 4.31 and ver 3.31), but Corsair does not show it in its Memory Finder. So I'm still not sure whether it will really fit. What do you think?

Great! So what about the "Corsair AX760" power supply, the "Corsair Hydro Series H115i RGB Platinum" CPU cooler and the "Corsair Carbide 275R" case, will they fit together with the other components?

Great! So what about the "Corsair AX760" power supply, the "Corsair Hydro Series H115i RGB Platinum" CPU cooler and the "Corsair Carbide 275R" case, will they fit together with the other components?

Your three choices will all work with your components, but here is some of my thoughts and experience. Read and ignore as you see fit. Ultimately, this build is yours and you are building it for yourself. Everyone on the internet has an opinion on everything. Your job is to find out what you want for your system and build it, enjoy it and experience using it. I am not an RGB person - that is me, not you or anyone else that likes the aesthetics of RGB lighting. I like good airflow with low noise fans - multiple large fans spinning slowly to reduce overall noise. My following comments and experiences come from these points of view rather than being actual criticism of you noted choices.

The AX760 PSU is well regarded - I haven't yet tried one but they are popular for quality builds. I might suggest going for slightly larger power capacity to keep fan noise low - say 850W. You system is capable of running around 425W I believe (CPU and GPU, about half of an 850W PSU).

Corsair Hydro Series H115i RGB Platinum CPU cooler. If you want water cooling then go for it. On a personal note I would never use a water cooler as they have a theoretical lifespan of three years, may last a little longer, but they (water coolers in general) often have pump noise and they also use fans so they will not be quieter than a decent Noctua cooler. If you like RGB, then RGB fans can be added to any cooler or case. If you wish to go with an all in one cooler, then be prepared to replace it in 3-4 years.

My Personal choice will always be a Noctua cooler with lots of quality heat-pipes. I don't mind the Standard Noctua fan color, others may not. If you like the water cooling option, then go for it - you will need to have your USB ports properly mapped and use a custom USB SSDT for your hardware to get your internal and external ports working correctly.

Corsair Carbide 275R - I own and have tried many different cases, I have the previous Corsair Carbide 270R. Good case, but shows its budget underpinnings in some annoying ways. My case has the metal side panel. I have removed the plastic front panel and fitted 2 front mount unfiltered Noctua 140mm fans connected to the motherboard using the Noctua proprietary Low noise adaptors and a UEFI/BIOS setting to run in quiet mode (fans spin at ~900RPM), Rear case fan is a 140mm Noctua and I have a Noctua NH-U14S fitted with a Low Noise adaptor cooling the Intel i7-4790K. The top vent has been fitted with a piece of black silicon baking mat material cut to shape to block the case top vent (lot of fan noise otherwise, as it is very open to all the internal case fans).

Why I like this case - for the $35 (Amazon Deal) that it cost it has been a good case. The real downside is that despite accommodating all the 140mm fans that I wanted to keep internal temperatures well moderated when gaming and running the system hard, the real issue is very cheap materials which have shown up as the side panel screws and the screw threads on the chassis appear to be made of soft butter. The side panel for the rear of the motherboard no longer fits to the case completely and I cannot seem to get it to fit properly - I am the sort of person that is good at repairing stuff and making things work - but this I cannot seem to fix.

I am glad that I have bought this case and it still serves well in day to day use but my more expensive to purchase cases from Fractal Design (Define range) and Nanoxia (Deep Silence range) are on a totally different level when it comes to build quality and delivering on the small details that you notice and appreciate all the more when you have something to compare them to. Would I buy another lower spec Corsair Carbide or Fractal Design Focus (I have one of these too) - suffers the same issues as the Corsair cases - no not unless I was putting a real budget build together to sell on and make a quick profit.

I am sure that some of the better Corsair cases have improved chassis frame that is made with much better quality of metal just as I have found from Fractal Design and Nanoxia. I like good airflow with low noise in my builds. I don't like to hear the sound from fans running at 1500-2500RPM trying to keep a computer cool.

Thanks for your advice, appreciate it! I have taken a look at some alternatives and decided to use the following parts instead:

PSU: Corsair AX860
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (trying to keep it as low noise as possible as a workstation)
Case: Fractal Design Define S2 Vision RGB (relatively high price, but with preinstalled RGB fans, so no need anymore to add additional ones)

I think these components should fit as well, right? Do you think this would all in all result in a low noise workstation?

Thanks for your advice, appreciate it! I have taken a look at some alternatives and decided to use the following parts instead:

PSU: Corsair AX860
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (trying to keep it as low noise as possible as a workstation)
Case: Fractal Design Define S2 Vision RGB (relatively high price, but with preinstalled RGB fans, so no need anymore to add additional ones)

I think these components should fit as well, right? Do you think this would all in all result in a low noise workstation?

Looks good, but Noctua recommend the NH-D15S cooler for the Z390 Designaire. The NH-D15 is shown in the Gigabyte Z390 Designare compatiblity page with the comment "The cooler blocks the PCIe x16 slot". Nice to have this level of detail from a product manufacturer - it makes buying the right product easier.

I think it is about time to start ordering components if you are happy with all your choices. Yes performance, cooling capacity and noise should all be good with these components. :thumbup:

With regard to the design of the D15S, it blocks the view of the brown colored fan because it's between the heatsinks. Another good reason to go with that if worried about clashing with your color scheme and RGB lights. This is a really good value at 80 dollars. Costs less than a liquid AIO cooling system and lasts 2-3x as long. No maintenance or worries about a leak destroying your expensive motherboard too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back