Contribute
Register

Building a new Hackintosh - need help (newbe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi at all,

i want to build a dualboot-System with Windows 7 and OSX.

Why? (you can skip that - just explanation why i want to do so)
At the Moment i am something more of a Windowsuser, but because im studying design i will have to (and i want to) deal with mac! At the Moment i need just a more powerfull machine than a laptop and the iMacs are too expensive for me (especially because i don't need their nice Place-saving-all-in-one-build and screen).
So building up a Hackintosh (-compatible System) seems to be perfect for me. I would still be able to have all benefits of a Windows-System and i am able to slowly get into mac.
My next Laptop (when i will have the money ;)) is going to be a Macbook Pro, so at this time i probably will already have my Workflow done in MacOS and probably switch completely to it!

What System i was thinking of?
CPU - i5-2500k
Graphics card - nVidia gtx560 or gtx560ti (I would like to have cuda with a powerfull grafics card)
Mainboard (Z68) - like i read it has to be Gigabyte... i would then take the "Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3" which seems to be often used here.
RAM - 8Gb ... is it really that important which RAM i use? Because i always see people taking the 1600Mhz Corsair-stuff.
HDD - i wanted to take 2 times WD Green 2TB (i already bought them) for Datastuff and an additional smaller driver (possibly an SSD) for the System.
Powersupply - one that fits the final system. I think there are no compatibility-Problems, arent there?

Questions:
1) Will an nVidia-Card work because Apple uses only ATI-Cards
2) Are there compatibility-issues with different RAM? For Example the "TeamGroup Elite DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24"?
3) How or is it possible to access the Datagrab-HDDs on both Systems? I read that it is possible to activate NTFS-support for MacOS so that probably will work?

ok that's it for now... i surely have more questions, but at the moment im done :D

THANKS ALOT already to everybody who will read an answer to this

Ok first off, if you want a pain less installation you need to have a ATI pref, 6870 from whatever brand as long as its a AMD 6870 they are native with snow leopard also yo need to purchase a copy of the cd from apple for $29 dlls. the memory you can buy any 1333 or 1600 i use gskills. Hard drives they have to be at 1tb or less otherwise they wont be recognized. the motherboard Gigabyte i guess would be ok. everything else is the same. If you insist with Nvidia you would have to find kext and comands for the card to work and to tell you the truth I couldn't reallly find any help here from people ultimately you would be on your own. do some reading and more reading watch videos on you tube and hoepfully you'll be able to do this by yourself. I was just like you eager to find answer to finish my comp in no time but its dificult, I believe you can find more answer from guys on you tube that have tutorials if you leave a comment on their video they'll reply and try to help you, that's what i did. I wish people would be more helpful here but unfortunately that's not the case. If you need more help or have questions I can help you out. Good luck!!! :cool:

lucky422 said:
Ok first off, if you want a pain less installation you need to have a ATI pref, 6870 from whatever brand as long as its a AMD 6870 they are native with snow leopard also yo need to purchase a copy of the cd from apple for $29 dlls. the memory you can buy any 1333 or 1600 i use gskills. Hard drives they have to be at 1tb or less otherwise they wont be recognized. the motherboard Gigabyte i guess would be ok. everything else is the same. If you insist with Nvidia you would have to find kext and commands for the card to work and to tell you the truth I couldn't reallly find any help here from people ultimately you would be on your own. do some reading and more reading watch videos on you tube and hopefully you'll be able to do this by yourself. I was just like you eager to find answer to finish my comp in no time but its difficult, I believe you can find more answer from guys on you tube that have tutorials if you leave a comment on their video they'll reply and try to help you, that's what i did. I wish people would be more helpful here but unfortunately that's not the case. If you need more help or have questions I can help you out. Good luck!!! :cool:

I just want to add : A hard drive larger than 1TB can be used as a boot drive, only that the partition that holds Mac OSX cannot be larger than 1TB (in such a case the OS will not boot).

If you need more help or have questions I can help you out. Good luck!!! :cool:
At first: Thank you alot for the very kind and nice reply!

I now decided to do the following: I will build up a computer that i could switch in some time to an hackintosh when i know how - until then i will go with Windows 7. That infact means only, that i take an Gigabyte-Mainboard. Except the Graphics card everything else seems to be no problem when building it with the right Mainboard.

About HDD:
You both said, that the partition of the bootdrive should not be over 1TB. But i wanted the two 2TB-HDDs only as a Datagrab! The System would be on a third HDD, which will be much smaller! So for the installation i need to see only the bootdrive. But after installation of MacOS i should be able to access the 2TB-Data-drives, right?

I have another question: What about SSD?? I think about probably get one. Not sure yet, because they are so expensive. But are there problems aswell? Or is it possible to use all of them? (In special im probably interested in an Crucial M4)

Graphics card: With the Graphics card i'm undecided. I would really love to have CUDA.
Infact at the moment i think i will take the gtx560(ti) and probably try to get it to work or wait for better support ... if nothing works and i really have to switch to mac, i will take the ati 6870 from my brother and therefore leave him the gtx 560(ti), which wouldn't be a bad deal for him ... and i would have an easyier life for the hackintosh ;)

So if there are no hard mistakes or missunderstandings on my side everything should be ok. I would really appreciate some advice for the SSD and whether the 2TB-Drives will work as "non-boot"/Datadrives.

Thanks alot already!

muluxx said:
At first: Thank you a lot for the very kind and nice reply!

I now decided to do the following: I will build up a computer that i could switch in some time to an hackintosh when i know how - until then i will go with Windows 7. That in fact means only, that i take an Gigabyte-Mainboard. Except the Graphics card everything else seems to be no problem when building it with the right Mainboard.

About HDD: You both said, that the partition of the boot drive should not be over 1TB. But i wanted the two 2TB-HDDs only as a Datagrab! The System would be on a third HDD, which will be much smaller! So for the installation i need to see only the boot drive. But after installation of MacOS i should be able to access the 2TB-Data-drives, right?

I have another question: What about SSD?? I think about probably get one. Not sure yet, because they are so expensive. But are there problems as well? Or is it possible to use all of them? (In special I'm probably interested in an Crucial M4)

Graphics card: With the Graphics card i'm undecided. I would really love to have CUDA.
In fact at the moment i think i will take the gtx560(ti) and probably try to get it to work or wait for better support ... if nothing works and i really have to switch to mac, i will take the ati 6870 from my brother and therefore leave him the gtx 560(ti), which wouldn't be a bad deal for him ... and i would have an easier life for the hackintosh ;)

So if there are no hard mistakes or misunderstandings on my side everything should be ok. I would really appreciate some advice for the SSD and whether the 2TB-Drives will work as "non-boot" Data drives.

Thanks a lot already!

If the 2TB hard drive is meant to be used only as a data drive, then there will be absolutely no problems. I use a 1TB hard drive as a boot drive (both Snow Leopard and Lion, in separate partitions) and another 1.5TB hard drive as a data drive.

You should also be able to use a SSD as a boot drive. However, there may be other issues such as TRIM support that you need to know about. I have not used SSDs myself so I cannot offer any help in this case.

If you want to use the GTX560Ti, what I see here is that you need to have OSX Lion in order to make it work.

Im running an Intel SSD as a boot drive and a 2TB seagate and they both work wonders one thing if you want your hard drives to be recognised and be used in both windows and Mac OS X you have to run it as a FAT32 and that you can do that in the disk utility side. Try to install it and see if it takes it follow Tonymacx86 directions and you should be fine, if your video card doesnt work in Snow leopard once installed running 10.6.8 then you can upgrade to Lion. Once in Lion it might recognize the Video card Native but I'm not sure because Apple switched to ATI for their newst models. If you go to teh website where you bought the Motherboard see the specs what sound and internet uses most of them use the Reltek 8111 for internet and reltek 889 or 892 for sound once you find out you can select them in multibeast. Let me know if you decided to install it and i can help you further...

muluxx said:
Hi at all,

i want to build a dualboot-System with Windows 7 and OSX.

Why? (you can skip that - just explanation why i want to do so)
At the Moment i am something more of a Windowsuser, but because im studying design i will have to (and i want to) deal with mac! At the Moment i need just a more powerfull machine than a laptop and the iMacs are too expensive for me (especially because i don't need their nice Place-saving-all-in-one-build and screen).
So building up a Hackintosh (-compatible System) seems to be perfect for me. I would still be able to have all benefits of a Windows-System and i am able to slowly get into mac.
My next Laptop (when i will have the money ;)) is going to be a Macbook Pro, so at this time i probably will already have my Workflow done in MacOS and probably switch completely to it!

I was in the exact same boat as you. Now that I am running a hackintosh, I have completely ditched Windows 7!!! Wished I had discovered hackintosh's earlier.

Macs are quality but inflexible for me, so yes a hackintosh is the perfect solution.

May I recommend you save some extra cash and buy the 13" MacBook Air!!! I have one for Uni and it's brilliant. Other Uni students scoff at my MBA as they lug around bulky and heavy MBP's :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back