Contribute
Register

Building a music production machine - Looking for opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no expert on computers, so I appreciate any level of advice.
I want to run Logic X on a SSD and have an HDD for recording and storing music and managing all other files.
I run a lot of audio plugins and build pretty extensive projects so I'm looking for processing power and stability. I doubt I will be OCing.
Graphics aren't super important to me so the graphics card is lowest priority, although if someone has a suggestion on a good deal I'll check it out as I do like to game casually.

I've been rifling through the forums most of this afternoon and this is what I have so far:

need a mobo

Intel Core i7-6700K
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB)
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB
Seagate Desktop HDD 3TB
Corsair RMX RM650X 650W ATX12V
Corsair Carbide Series 300R
Zalman CPU Cooler AMD Intel Low Profile

I already have a monitor (HDMI), mouse, keyboard. external audio card, & speakers.
Suggestions for a motherboard?

Ideas on compatibility or where I can trim extra fat?
I was referencing the CustoMac Pro build as well as other user's custom builds for similar purposes. I seemed to find people favour the 250GB for SSD, anyone know why?

Thank you in advance!
Zebrat

Last edited:
hey, mate... I am starting my build soon too... (Monday I hope) and Im in the same boat.
I have decided to go with the gigabyte-z170-ud5-th... but I am curious what others suggest in that price range.
The reason for me going with this card is because i plan to buy the UAD sound card in the future - and thunderbolt cards are not cheap so I might as well buy the motherboard...

The only thing I cannot work out is this, like you I don't need a video card, I am wondering if the gigabyte works with onboard graphics and if so 2 monitors on Hackingtosh...

Hey friends, I am in the same position as you two; I'd like to build a hackintosh solely for the purpose of producing trance music on LPX. @ZebratMusic my ideal build specs look pretty much just like yours, and I am similarly intimidated by the bewildering variety of motherboards. While I have very few peripherals at the moment, I can foresee it being worthwhile to invest in a motherboard that is maximally compatible with hardware/software I might want to eventually use (like UAD sound cards/plugins), so the gigabyte-z170-ud5-th looks appealing.

Have either of you successfully carried out your hackintosh projects? If so, how is it working for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back