Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide October 2013

so amd cards not recommended at all?
We recommend nVidia because Apple uses either Intel's Integrated Graphics or nVidia chipsets. AMD/ATI work, but they take effort and no all features work correctly. I recommend you play it safe and use an nVidia graphics card unless you have a compelling requirement for using a AMD/ATI graphics card.

Hi, Is this guide good for Mavericks or should I wait for November 2013 guide? (I'm eying to get a Customac Pro hardware very soon).
The October Buyer's Guide is good for Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

Do you NEED a graphics card with the Gigabyte motherboards? Are the display drivers in the motherboard supported in Mavericks?
The simple answer is you don't need a graphics card if both your motherboard and processor support Intel's Integrated Graphics (HD3000/HD4000/HD4600) - both have to go together. However, Intel's Integrated Graphics is good for general purpose computer and audio recording. However, if you are a gamer or are going to use your system for photographic and/or video editing, you'll probably want a graphics card.

Can anyone tell about compatibility with Q87 motherboards, will it be good using Q87 with Intel - 4771 on Mac OS? Asking because of the VT-d function for virtual machines... usefull function, and there is no word about this motherboards..

I just did my first Hackintosh build, GA-Z87X-D3H, i7 4770, 16gb corsair RAM, GT640 running on Mountain Lion. I've managed to get it up and running. I installed Mountain Lion with Unibeast and afterwards ran Multibeast. Inititally I had issues with grey screen at startup and could only start using -x. Now It starts but I have a few fine tuning issues like system info displays the processor as 3.69Ghz and the ram as only 8gb. Has anyone else done a similar build?

I've recently built my first Hackintosh as well, and I have a similar issue/question. Internal components:

GA-Z87MX-D3H
i7 4770 (non k)
8gb gskill ram
nvidia gtx 660
mushkin 120gb ssd

I decided to go with the 4770 (non k) because I don't plan to over clock my cpu. However, I purchased it while it was advertised as a 3.4ghz cpu with 3.9 ghz turbo boost. My system profiler, however, displays my cpu at 3.69ghz. I've run geek bench, and it reads my cpu at 3.69ghz as well.

Is this normal? Or, should the non k version be running at 3.9ghz? If it should be running faster, how do I fix it?

The Hackintosh otherwise runs great. I just want to know if I can get a little more bang out of the cpu.

Why do you write that the motherboard GA-Z87X-UD3H has 2 HDMI? Doesn't it have 1?

RE Socket 2011

I have a 10.8, 10.9 systems working perfect just installed network, audio, fake smc, nullcpu.
seems to speed step, sleep is also working, rendering edits for 48h no problem overclocked to 4ghz 48gb ram.

i7 3820, Gigabyte UP4, GTX 650TI

RE Socket 2011

I have a 10.8, 10.9 systems working perfect just installed network, audio, fake smc, nullcpu.
seems to speed step, sleep is also working, rendering edits for 48h no problem overclocked to 4ghz 48gb ram.

i7 3820, Gigabyte UP4, GTX 650TI

Thanks, much appreciated. Will start new build on Thursday. Hope I have same success as you.

Do I need to check the box "Legacy USB Support" if I am using GA-H87... LGA1150 w/ i5-4440? While i am creating a bootable USB drive.
Thanks.

Hi Tony,
Please, to a customMac Pro is valid any of your 4 power supply list? or it must be only theCorsair 650 Watt Modular ?

Many thanks

Here is a Bluetooth stick for mac is also available in Europe:
[AMAZON-de]http://www.amazon.de/CSL-Bluetooth-Adapter-Technologie-neuester-Standard/dp/B00C68IQ3C/[/AMAZON-de]

I just don't know why there is no
TP-Link PCI Express​
Wifi Adapter in China?​
But thanks for the pretty work you guys have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back