Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide November 2013

Hi,
i wondering if anybody was aware of OS x 10.6 running on the new 4th gen quad-core i5 CPU and if it will operate properly? I am going to update to Maverick after I get it running. Also, I am in limbo between the July mATX build and the November mATX build, I would like some advice. Thank you all in advance, appleweekly5.

Tonymac has a nifty guide for getting Haswell equipped PCs running Snow Leopard so that they can access the Mac App Store to download Mountain Lion or Mavericks in order to create a UniBeast Installer for the operating system you choose. When running the UniBeast Installer you will choose the installer package you want to go onto your USB stick (ML or Mavericks). The App Store download will contain the latest version of whichever OS you choose to download.

Remember though that Mountain Lion is a paid purchase of $20, and Mavericks is free. As for the build, that will depend entirely on your budget and your overall system needs.

I want to build a CustoMac Budget, But only the core-i3 3220 Cpu is available in the local market. Is it fully supported?

Is it my imagination, or is there no longer any video cards out there with mini-display port? On my music studio 1.0 build, I had a Gigabyte card that had mini-DP. If we're not going to get any more Thunderbolt motherboards for Haswell or newer, I may be "stuck" with limited solutions for my non-TB Cinema Display :(

Hello,
Wich one off all mainboad is the most compatible for osx 10.9 ? Like only one kext, no more dsdt, kext modding etc ...
My 775 build just die few weeks ago ... (EP45)
Thanks in advance !

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,
Wich one off all mainboad is the most compatible for osx 10.9 ? Like only one kext, no more dsdt, kext modding etc ...
My 775 build just die few weeks ago ... (EP45)
Thanks in advance !

Furthermore, it's now possible to use multiple NVIDIA cards in tandem- dual and triple cards are enabled by default.

So does this mean that SLI now works?

Core i5-4440 is 3.1 Ghz, not 3.0.

I want to build a CustoMac Budget, But only the core-i3 3220 Cpu is available in the local market. Is it fully supported?

The CPU is okay, just be sure to get a compatible motherboard. Check the Buyer's guid from july to find a good motherboard.

Hi Tonymac, please take the EVGA 03G-P4-2781-KR GTX780 off the list. It has OpenCL crash issues

@tonymacx86
I hope in the following next buyers guide release there would be list for other motherboard brands like asus specially the MAXIMUS line. as I saw successful installation in others without the needs of patching and/or DSDT just like Gigabyte Motherboards that seems it looks like getting fully compatible with OSX installation. and to other brands too. at least there would be an option to choose from.

Thanks- as we say each month- "These might not be the only components that work, but based on our research they're the easiest and best supported options."

As for the ASUS 8-series, it's great that they are now MSR unlocked. That makes things way more compatible. However, they still require either alternate bootloader or EFI paritition install to use GPT disks. So we're sticking with Gigabyte recommendations for now.

Just a heads up here. Not all 780s will work in OS X apparently yet.

The following cards are using the newer GK110B GPU:

EVGA GeForce 780 Ti

GeForce 780 Rev. 2 GPU/BIOS

These cards will produce OpenCL crashes in OS X.

Hi Tonymac, please take the EVGA 03G-P4-2781-KR GTX780 off the list. It has OpenCL crash issues

Thanks SquishyTia and MacAndor-

We've just made some changes- both swapping around different models that are known to work without issue, and adding a warning note for OpenCL issues. If the issues aren't resolved we may be forced to remove them from the list altogether.

If I want to dual-boot Windows and OSX, is Windows 7 compatible, or only Windows 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back