Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide May 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide May 2013

I had a big problem ...my mother board is GA-z77-WIFI and i7 ivy bridge 3.4GHZ 3770 16gb corsair 1600MHZ memory and sand disk extreme 120gb ssd, NVDIA 2GB 640 GT...I cant install mountain lion to this system. I am stuck at apple logo and is not going after. if I type -x then I am able to install but after completing installation it is again stuck on apple logo....can anyone tell me what may be the issue?? thanks in advance

Try disabling vt-d in the bios.. also try removing the graphics card & use integrated graphics before re-intalling the card...

Hey I don't know if anyone noticed, but for the customac mini deluxe build, I don't think that corsair 650 PSU fits in the Prodigy case... >_< Correct me if I'm wrong...

I had a big problem ...my mother board is GA-z77-WIFI and i7 ivy bridge 3.4GHZ 3770 16gb corsair 1600MHZ memory and sand disk extreme 120gb ssd, NVDIA 2GB 640 GT...I cant install mountain lion to this system. I am stuck at apple logo and is not going after. if I type -x then I am able to install but after completing installation it is again stuck on apple logo....can anyone tell me what may be the issue?? thanks in advance

I had the exact same issue with z77n-wifi and 3570k.. Booting into save mode via -x and installing multibeast inside the save mode fixed it for me :S

Can you perhaps list other brands of motherboards that are also supported?

can i use a gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H to build a customac?
with Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz LGA 1155 Processor?

The reason the i3 - 3225 is on the recommended list is because it has HD 4000 graphics built in - you are able to get the audio and video output working via HDMI, which is very good if you wish to have your CustoMac connected to a TV.

The i3 - 3220 can be used, you can add a simple cheep Nvida GT610 or any other recommended card. You will not be able to get the audio and video working together via HDMI. If this is only going to be connected to a DVI - D monitor then you would be OK to use the 3220.

Hope that helps you make your decision :)

If I get 2133MHz RAM will OSX support it or will it cap out at 1600MHz? I ask this because I'm getting the 3930k with the GIGABYTE X79-UP4 and it supports up to 2133MHz memory.

If I get 2133MHz RAM will OSX support it or will it cap out at 1600MHz? I ask this because I'm getting the 3930k with the GIGABYTE X79-UP4 and it supports up to 2133MHz memory.
RAM speed is dependant on the RAM and motherboard and has nothing to do with the OS.

RAM speed is dependant on the RAM and motherboard and has nothing to do with the OS.

Awesome thank you. Might just go with 1600MHz at first because of price :p

There aren't very many off the shelf wifi cards that work with OS X. That's why we are very specific with the recommendations. As for bluetooth- go with any cheap USB dongle- most work just fine with OS X without any issues. We recommend the ones above for their proven capabilities.

Hey, are you able to recommend any other BT dongles that will allow "wake from sleep" function? Unfortunately they don't sell the IOgear BT dongles in new zealand

Thanks!

Hi manateeman,

I am using a Belkin F8T016cw, working brilliantly with Mac wireless keyboard. Suggest doing a search online to see if you are able to pick it up locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back