Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide March 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide March 2014

Does the CustoMac Mini have Bluetooth the way it is configured?

Yes, the mini pcie card inside the motherboard has bluetooth that works in 10.9 the wifi that is built into the same chip doesn't work in 10.9. A separate wifi card is recommended if needed.

Corsair psus are of very bad quality. The connectors don't fit well and the sata connectors are all upside down.
Corsair psus are not recommended.

I respectfully disagree. I have two CX500's (~3 years old) and an AX750 (~2 years old) that are all flawless. I will buy another Corsair PSU when it is time to build a new machine.

Only the Broadcom-Chipset will work now, not one from Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.: "DeLOCK 61772 Bluetooth 3.0 + EDR, USB 2.0" is working, "Trust Bluetooth 3.0 USB Adapter" is working, all others I've tried including the CSR-Chipset, do not..

Recently I got LogiLink USB Bluetooth v.4.0 adapter, and it works great on both of my CustoMacs.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0096Y2HFW/?tag=tonymacx86-21
printscreen.png

I respectfully disagree. I have two CX500's (~3 years old) and an AX750 (~2 years old) that are all flawless. I will buy another Corsair PSU when it is time to build a new machine.

Why are there in the buying guide any power supplies mentioned at all? Is there any problem with building hackintosh with a different (brand) power supply? It's just an electrical transformer with rectifiers and stabilizers, with absolutely no regard to an operating system installed.

Why are there in the buying guide any power supplies mentioned at all? Is there any problem with building hackintosh with a different (brand) power supply? It's just an electrical transformer with rectifiers and stabilizers, with absolutely no regard to an operating system installed.

There is a huge variance in the build quality and component parts of power supplies. The power
supply is critical in ensuring a stable system. Any cheap, poorly built psu runs the risk of doing
serious damage to your computer's motherboard, ram etc. The ones listed in the guide have
been tested and verified to work without problems.

Any reason only nvidia gpu's are featured? 270x and 280x works very well straight out of the box with no issues at all, for example.

The fact that you have to ask, is the reason they are listed. ;)

GTX 770 4gb oc version by Asus also works natively using GE=No.
Feel free to add it in to your current list!!

How is the IOGear bluetooth 4.0 adapter still listed? I have two of them that now do not work. Has anyone either found a solution or a replacement for them?

Mine works without issues, make sure you select "Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if no mouse or trackpad is selected" or "no keyboard is detected" under System Preferences/Bluetooth/Advanced. After the Bluetooth Setup Assistant pops out, then your mouse/trackpad/keyboard will appear in the list. Then you can select "Pair". If the Bluetooth gadget doesn't appear, just turn off and back on. With a Magic Mouse click several times, with a keyboard push some keys, sometimes it helps to pair it quicker.

Bluetooth phones, speakers, etc.. even easier. What kind of device you have problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back