Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide March 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide March 2013

Hi, I've been wanting to build a CustoMac ATX for awhile now, but I've been holding off for OSX 10.8.3 because of the rumoured Radeon 7000-series support. Now that OSX 10.8.3 has been released i have a few questions.

1. Does OSX 10.8.3 Really support the Radeon 7000-series ? If it does, does it support the 7850 or 7870 XT, or just the Tahiti 7900-series ?

2. Is it stable to use Radeon 7000-series on OSX 10.8.3 ?

Thanks !

Is there a way to workaround if your case as a high end graphic card that takes the two pci-e available places you have in the case (coolermaster elite 120 advanced) to been able to install the pci-e wifi card??

Hi all, I'm new here. Does anyone know if there will be a mini ITX motherboard supporting Thunderbolt? The only Thunderbolt motherboards seem to be minimum micro ATX...

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of one before I embark on my maiden Hackintosh...

Is there a reason why a GTX670 4GB model shouldn't work? I'm thinking of the 670FTW 4GB specifically. Also, I'm thinking of dual booting with Win8 for casual gaming, and since my budget allows i will get 2 of those cards. I know SLI doesnt exactly work in OSX, but does that mean every time I boot into OSX i have to remove the bridge and the second card?

Lots of love from Turkey.

Does anybody know whether the GA-B75M-D3H will work just as good as the GA-B75M-D3P. The only difference that I can see via their website is that the D3H has the Realtek GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) network chip and the D3P has the Realtek 8111DP chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) chip. Any input would be appreciated as the D3H is much easier for me to get hold of.

google b75m d3p customac

Apple doesn't support HD2500 in OS X. So, if you choose one of those processors, you'll need a graphics card with the non HD3000/4000 processors. Same for when Haswell comes out this year.

I found out that this isn't entirely true; My i5-3330 does work, albeit not flawlessly. Animations are choppy, Safari has lots of artifacts and Starcraft II won't launch (requires at least a HD3000). However, the machine IS workable, but I can't see why you would go with a HD2500 CPU at the moment (if you are not planning to use a dGPU, that is).

Any comments on whether now is a good time to upgrade, as far as current costs/discounts and hardware product cycle?

Thank you for your work on this guide! Great information!

As lazaac I would also like to see a recommendation for an HD webcam added to the accessories section. Since you even recommend a USB flash drive... :D

GA-Z77-DS3H rev 1.1 uses Atheros AR8161 ethernet chipset, which does not work well with Multibeast 5.2.1's ALXEthernet.kext 1.0.2. Older rev 1.0 still use Atheros AR8151, which is fine. Its pretty hard to find a 1.0 motherboard, so maybe put a note by that. Or add a compatible ethernet card in the list next to the wireless for Rev 1.1 buyers.

Does anybody know whether the GA-B75M-D3H will work just as good as the GA-B75M-D3P. The only difference that I can see via their website is that the D3H has the Realtek GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) network chip and the D3P has the Realtek 8111DP chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) chip. Any input would be appreciated as the D3H is much easier for me to get hold of.

The GA-B75M-D3H will work. I had one before. The only thing that I had trouble with at the time was the USB 3.0 ports, but I got those working eventually (I don't remember how exactly, it was about 6 months ago).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back