Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide March 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Titan supported?

I'm curious why you listed the GeForce GTX 650 as PCIe-powered, when all cards listed in the guide have a 6 pin power connector and ship with dual 4 pin Molex to 6 pin power adapter cables.

Nice guide, lets try

Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide March 2013

If you look at the separate graphics cards section you'll see six different brands
that you could choose from. GB and Asus are in that list. Any of them will
work in a Customac Pro build.
Yes I've seen all the brand in the Graphics Cards section
But as the example in the Pro buil was all EVGA, I was wondering if this brand is more reliable.
Thanks for the answer

I'm thinking about building a hackintosh. Has anyone gotten Mountain Lion to work with this customac pro build suggested in the guide above?

Going with these parts:
-INTEL Core i5 Ivy Bridge 3570K - 3,4 GHz - Cache L3
-GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H - Socket 1155 - Chipset Z77 - ATX
-PATRIOT Viper 3 Series 2 x 8 Gt DDR3-1600
-CORSAIR Carbide Series 500R
-CORSAIR Gaming Series GS800 Edition PSU
-PNY GeForce GTX 680 - 2 Gt GDDR5 - PCI-Express 3.0
-SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.12
-TP-LINK PCI-Express WiFi-N 450 Mbps

This will cost me about 1200€, which isn't too bad considering how kickass the machine will be.

I really want to do an easy installation. I understand that first I have to install Snow Leopard to be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion. Is that right? I can't just create the 10.8 installer on my Mac Pro and use it to install Mountain Lion directly? Seems stupid, but m'kay whatever. As long as I can get my hackintosh working 100% I don't care.

Yes I've seen all the brand in the Graphics Cards section
But as the example in the Pro buil was all EVGA, I was wondering if this brand is more reliable.
Thanks for the answer

We used EVGA in the example builds, but you can use any brand. That's why we put them all in the Graphics Cards section.

I understand that first I have to install Snow Leopard to be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion. Is that right? I can't just create the 10.8 installer on my Mac Pro and use it to install Mountain Lion directly? Seems stupid, but m'kay whatever. As long as I can get my hackintosh working 100% I don't care.

If you have access to a Mac or hackintosh running 10.6.8 or later you can purchase Mountain Lion and create a UniBeast USB directly. No need to install Snow Leopard first.

^^thanks for the fast reply! Somehow the guides left some room for interpretation. Or maybe it's just my english.

So I would be all set, just need to get the parts. I just have some doubts because I read some people were having problems with the motherboard USB slots and the TP Link wifi. I really need everything to work 100%, like it did back in the "AsusP5WLeopard" days.

This really is a brilliant site and community. I wish to be a part of it! :D

^^thanks for the fast reply! Somehow the guides left some room for interpretation. Or maybe it's just my english.

So I would be all set, just need to get the parts. I just have some doubts because I read some people were having problems with the motherboard USB slots and the TP Link wifi. I really need everything to work 100%, like it did back in the "AsusP5WLeopard" days.

This really is a brilliant site and community. I wish to be a part of it! :D

Welcome aboard. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back