Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide June 2013

I have an F8T065bf, and sadly it's not working on my 10.8.4. (on a gaep35ds3 motherboard.)

European market - 10.6 + Belkin F8T016cw (v2.0 + EDR)

Not tested prior to 10.8 Belkin F8T065bf (v4.0)

:thumbup:

Hi,

So I am brand spanking new to this still. Running Mac OS on my MBP and was insisting that was the way I should continue to go. Until they released the new Mac Pro's

So here I am looking to build myself a Hackintosh powerhouse. But there is one thing that confuse me. The CustoMac Pro Socket 2011, recommends 32 gb 1600 mhz ram, but the amazon site says it supports up to 64 and 2100. Will there be a hardware failure or problem if you put in more and faster memory, or is that just the recommended?

//C

There's no support yet in Mac OS X for Haswell or for HD 5000 or HD 4600. Whey would they recommend hardware that isn't yet supported?

What about the new MacBook Airs? They do use Haswell, don't they? So shouldn't they be supported then?

not to be ungrateful, but several items on this list (which I have waited for) are outdated or discontinued. Things like GA-B75M-D3P motherboard and a few of the display cards are no longer available from newegg. I was hoping for a refresh or updated information on their replacements which didn't happen. I wonder how the equipment compatibility testing is done, and how do they make the list?

READ BUYERS GUIDE:

Buyer's Guide March 2013

"Please note that if a link does not work, it is because the product is unavailable."

"we'll be revising this buyer's guide monthly with all of our current recommendations"

You asked

"I wonder how the equipment compatibility testing is done, and how do they make the list?"

Part of the way the list is made is through the use of successful builds.

They dont claim the buyers guide is 100%.

"but based on our research they're the easiest and best supported options. Use this as a shopping list or as a jumping off point."

and

When running OS X as your main operating system, supported and compatible components are extremely important. That is why we have created a large selection of pre-configured systems along with a list of options.

No I would also appreciate a better overview for this. For example there could be a special area on this site where you can enter motherboard, graphics and so on and it gives you the perfect multibeast options!

not to be ungrateful, but several items on this list (which I have waited for) are outdated or discontinued. Things like GA-B75M-D3P motherboard and a few of the display cards are no longer available from newegg. I was hoping for a refresh or updated information on their replacements which didn't happen. I wonder how the equipment compatibility testing is done, and how do they make the list?

I'm astonished at the level of spoonfeeding some people seem to expect. Building a hackintosh is a do-it-yourself project. A large part of the fun and sense of accomplishment comes from doing the research and searching for solutions to the problems you might run into. Tonymacx86, MacMan, toleda and (forgive me for not mentioning the rest of you by name) the other administrators and contributors to this site already do a HUGE amount of work to build the tools, test components, provide the site as a fantastic resource (for FREE, I might add), all to make it as easy as possible to build and configure a cutting-edge computer that runs Mac OS X, yet still some people demand more.

If you want someone else to do all the work for you, buy a Mac from Apple.

I'm astonished at the level of spoonfeeding some people seem to expect. Building a hackintosh is a do-it-yourself project. A large part of the fun and sense of accomplishment comes from doing the research and searching for solutions to the problems you might run into. Tonymacx86, MacMan, toleda and (forgive me for not mentioning the rest of you by name) the other administrators and contributors to this site already do a HUGE amount of work to build the tools, test components, provide the site as a fantastic resource (for FREE, I might add), all to make it as easy as possible to build and configure a cutting-edge computer that runs Mac OS X, yet still some people demand more.

If you want someone else to do all the work for you, buy a Mac from Apple.

+1 nobodynose. Well Said!

but the new cpu i7 4770k .....

I have a question - in the Buyer's Guide it says:

Does this mean I shouldn't have TRIM enabled for a Sandisk Extreme (or any other Sandforce-based drive for that matter)?
I use a 240GB Sandisk Extreme in my hackintosh and also in my wife's MacBook Pro. According to Sandisk customer support (I asked them when I bought the drive), you should not enable TRIM because the firmware in the drive does garbage cleanup and maintains the drive. TRIM could potentially reduce your drive speed and life. Be sure to update the firmware to the latest rev when you get the drive. Good luck!

Amazing, once again all Gigabyte boards...

Amazing, once again all Gigabyte boards...

I'm planning on using an ASRock Z77E-ITX for my second Hackintosh despite the recommendations here to use Gigabyte boards. The main reason is because the Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI doesn't have DisplayPort (instead it has dual HDMI).

I like to use DisplayPort to drive my 30" Dell (2560 x 1600 pixels). I might be able to run it through the DVI port if it's dual-link, but I'd rather free that up for secondary monitors that use DVI (or even VGA with an adapter).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back