Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide January 2014

Two questions: by saying ''it's now possible to use multiple NVIDIA cards in tandem- dual and triple cards are enabled by default'' it means explicit two/three-way SLI?

I have to second this question. There are numerous posts stating that Crossfire/SLI is NOT supported in OS-X, but the guide still states that multiple NVidia cards running in "tandem" is now possible. "Running in tandem" by any definition is SLI. So, is it somehow supported with a method that I'm not aware of? Or as the guide says, "dual and triple cards are enabled by default", is it just a matter of installing any GTX card that is GTX 770 or lower and OS-X will take care of the rest?

Please, if Tonymacx86 or one of the moderators could just give a definitive answer to this question, that would be very appreciated.

No, "in tadem" means two cards running at the same time. SLI means that two cards are driving one (or more) monitors with combined efforts. Two GPU cards in tandem do not have to combine efforts - SLI imples that.

Have problems with the motherboard GA-Z87M-HD3? Or is recommended GA-Z87M-D3H?
Motherboard GA-Z87M-HD3 suits me price and interfaces.

I have to second this question. There are numerous posts stating that Crossfire/SLI is NOT supported in OS-X, but the guide still states that multiple NVidia cards running in "tandem" is now possible. "Running in tandem" by any definition is SLI. So, is it somehow supported with a method that I'm not aware of? Or as the guide says, "dual and triple cards are enabled by default", is it just a matter of installing any GTX card that is GTX 770 or lower and OS-X will take care of the rest?

Please, if Tonymacx86 or one of the moderators could just give a definitive answer to this question, that would be very appreciated.

It simply means OS X will recognize 2 or 3 cards as individual cards. It doesn't double or triple
the GPU power as in SLI on a Windows machine.

Would an Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor work with the Gigabyte Z87 motherboards? (In particular with the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard)

TonyMac,

Great work as always! :) I renew my question: Where are the B85 boards? The B75 was there when Ivy Bridge was king. The GA-B85M-D3H and HD3 are the lowest cost entry point for a Haswell Hackintosh, and both boards work great!! Paired with an i3 4330 or 4340 the B85 gives the best bang for the buck. Perhaps an additional category like CustoMac Budget mATX is needed (EconoMac mATX?)?

Hi, some words about H87N-WiFi boards (may be applicable to other boards). I have a work system with replacing native half-size miniPCI-E module with this one: Broadcom BCM943225HMB and using this kext — http://www.mediafire.com/download/9afv2xo1nboghkt/LegacyBCM943225HMB.zip (I use an AzureWave AW-NB290). All works perfect: Bluetooth + WiFi.

Hello! Everyone ,I saw many people success installing by H87N wifi ,But I saw the gigabyte official web have another motherboard H87N(it is also itx) like it's name , it does't have wifi! Do anyone know this motherboard can install success like The H87N WIFI? Multibest can drive the motherboard too? Thanks!

Always great to see an updated buyer's guide. Do any of these builds allow for DRM-protected HD Video to play through iTunes? Ever since building my GA-Z87MX-D3H system, I've lost the ability due to HDCP errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back